Vertex coloring out of the box

AggrorJorn

Should vertex colored fbx models work out of the box? 

I have a collection (+100) models that are vertex colored instead of having any textures. Loading them in using the editor, they remain grey.  I tried to see if would require some sort of default empty material but to no avail. Opening them in other engines works directly.

Does anyone have experience with this? This topic mentions altering some info in blender, but I am looking to see I can achieve this without actually altering all 100+ models in an external modeling program.  

Seems like it might.  Not sure about the code part of it.  The below image is an untextured triangle (exported from Max).  I've also attached a zip with the FBX and MDL.vertexcolortriangle.jpg.c24ee394c164e29773aea7d58fea6550.jpg

vertexcolortest.zip

Also worth noting that if you open my FBX in a text editor, you'll see the following section, describing the vertex colors (3 RGBA sets):

LayerElementColor: 0 {
            Version: 101
            Name: ""
            MappingInformationType: "ByPolygonVertex"
            ReferenceInformationType: "IndexToDirect"
            Colors: *12 {
                a: 0,0,1,1,0,1,0,1,1,0,0,1
            }
            ColorIndex: *3 {
                a: 1,2,0
            }
        }

• Upvote 1

@ Aggror in thread you link to, I created a simple machine and vertex painted it using 3D Coat ( you can use most 3d Modelling programs to do this). I then exported it as an FBX file and imported it straight into LW. The paint information was stored in the file and no textures were needed.

So in answer to your question the texture information should be in your file and work straight out of the box.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies @Thirsty Panther and @gamecreator.

I am afraid the models that I bought do not have this element LayerElementColor but instead are refering to a material. There are no textures in the model pack, so I guess some other tricks are applied in other engines. Anyway, I am sure I can find some fbx batch export with color vertex somewhere for blender.

Thanks for the help. If I find something useful, I will post back here.

• 2 weeks later...