Porting To Xbox

Shard

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Like Xbox Portability?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Don't Know

So for Naughty Alien, how *big* is your development studio?

simpleSigPNG.png

Programmer/Engineer/Student

www.reikumar.com

2.6 GHz Intel Core Duo - nVidia GeForce 8600 GT - Windows 7 64-bit - 4 Gigs RAM

C++ - Visual Studio Express - Dark GDK - Leadwerks SDK

..studio size is about 2000 square feet, and we are just next to Codemasters studio here..same building..

Sorry, I meant team size.

simpleSigPNG.png

Programmer/Engineer/Student

www.reikumar.com

2.6 GHz Intel Core Duo - nVidia GeForce 8600 GT - Windows 7 64-bit - 4 Gigs RAM

C++ - Visual Studio Express - Dark GDK - Leadwerks SDK

• 1 month later...

Hate to ask a question of no relevance on the subject but does every1 in here have a team of people working with them on the leadwerks engine? Call me a bit of a work-aholic if you do or just plain old fasioned stupid but due to the Leadwerks engine ive bin working flat out for almost 7 months now modelling and textureing and codeing and i have almost completed a working title for PC on my own just testing each map before release!

Some work solo, some work in a team. It's hard to say which is more popular, as with solo you can just buy stuff from others, so you kinda work as a team too.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

only thing i used from others is sounds cos atm i have no way of recording battles, not easy starting a war in my back garden lol on the topic of porting to xbox tho, its not really that good of an idea tbh, PCs always best for games, far more power and realism. Porting to Xbox would not only increase price of Leadweks but also hinder its possibilities i think =/

• 1 year later...

The more simple is XboxLive games: Xna games.

You can find a lot made by indies, lots of simples, bad , and some really good !

Perhaps the best solution would be to go for Xna instead of Xbox ?

This is not possible, because XNA allows C# code only. Same problem with Windows phone.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

porting to Xbox seems interesting, but I'd prefer seeing my game on Sony's computer entertainment instead of microsoft's Xbox. just because PS looks way more sexy! and the games are just much more shooter type like. also the hardware performance for PS is way better than Xbox (games could be way heavier) so development would be more easy

porting to Xbox seems interesting, but I'd prefer seeing my game on Sony's computer entertainment instead of microsoft's Xbox. just because PS looks way more sexy! and the games are just much more shooter type like. also the hardware performance for PS is way better than Xbox (games could be way heavier) so development would be more easy

Both MS and the PS3 have a stupidly closed system, and are getting crushed by Apple because of it. Console sales are down something like 30% year over year, while mobile is rising.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Both MS and the PS3 have a stupidly closed system, and are getting crushed by Apple because of it.  Console sales are down something like 30% year over year, while mobile is rising.

This statement is a little loaded and I will tell you why. In a bad economy people feel they need a phone more than they need a gaming device. Also people update their phone every year or two. The playstaion3 has been out for a while and for the most part who ever is going to buy one already has one. Same for the xbox.You made a comment on a separate thread that shows proof that consoles will never die and be more popular than pc games. I think you said something like the majority of people in the world are computer illiterate, and that is why you are making certain features so you can have a larger target audience for your software. Regular people just want to buy a game and have it work. They do not want to know or worry about if their video card is good enough. They just want to plug and play.If you want to go by sales, I am sure you will find that games for consoles out sale everything else put together.

-Mobile game sales in 2010 increased 46% from the previous year.

-Games through social websites increased 66%.

-At the same time, console game sales decreased 29%.

HardwareHomeConsoles-39.png

This is good for you. The days of the monolithic AAA studio making games for inferior hardware are coming to an end. They had a profitable run, but the party's over. The shift from consoles to mobile mirrors the switch from PC to consoles exactly.

http://www.megagames...e-consoles-soon

http://www.vgchartz....across-the-boar

http://www.dailyfina...t-sure-whats-up

http://venturebeat.c...orst-since-2006

As a gammer I'm sad at this because pretty much every mobile game (phones and tabs) I've ever seen is not that good :/ Poor input devices which limit things being the reason I can see.

As a game programmer I'm happy beacuse it helps level the playing field

Yes maybe total units have gone down for a console, but for good games money sales have gone up. According to xbox magazine modern warfare3 grossed 775 million dollars in the first five days. I think one of the problems is **** games. The other is a sore economy. People may not be able to afford a 60 or 70 dollar game, but they can sure afford 2.99 for a app that makes fart noises.

In the third link that you posted it shows sales for that month at 1.53 billion. I do not know about you but I would not mind tapping into that market. I am not saying any game that I make will ever make 775 million or 775 hundred, but I would like to at least have the ability.

The whole reason that you are creating a new engine is so you can increase your consumer market, right? So why put a cap on ours?

The winners on consoles are already established. No newcomers will succeed. Anything that's not Call of Duty 7, etc. will fail. That's when companies move on to a new platform that isn't dominated by just a few big winners. This bodes very well for indies because you are not artificially blocked out of the mobile market. Conditions could not be better than they will be over the next couple years.

I guess it is true if you say so. Unfortunately this is a make or break feature for me. I have a blackberry. They are not as popular as a Iphone or droid so I am sure they have more apps and games than blackberry. As I look in the official blackberry app store there are over 24,000 apps and over 1,700 games. I wonder if there are games that get lost and never make it in the sea of mobile games already out there?

I guess it is true if you say so. Unfortunately this is a make or break feature for me. I have a blackberry. They are not as popular as a Iphone or droid so I am sure they have more apps and games than blackberry. As I look in the official blackberry app store there are over 24,000 apps and over 1,700 games. I wonder if there are games that get lost and never make it in the sea of mobile games already out there?

XBox support is a make or break feature for you? Do you have a development license? I fully intend to support the consoles ASAP because it can be sold to professional studios, but MS is locking you out of that platform.

XBox supports XNA which is basically created for Indies to get their games on XBox. You don't need a big time development license like with PS3. This is one of the best moves MS has made. Sadly they don't allow C++ just .NET.

http://blogs.msdn.co...nity-games.aspx

Yep.

It's a market and a rather sizable market so you can see why some people would want support for it. The fact that it's so friendly for indie's to get their title on the XBox and since LE is sort of an indie engine, it would only make sense to support it if you could find a way.

It's a market and a rather sizable market so you can see why some people would want support for it. The fact that it's so friendly for indie's to get their title on the XBox and since LE is sort of an indie engine, it would only make sense to support it if you could find a way.

Except that MSFT has now largely hidden the Indie Games section on the dashboard. It's still there, but very few are just going to run across it.

Now that said, what with Win8 having an App store along with Windows Phone 7 (WP7)...and MSFT consolidating their Metro UI across all their devices, I get the feeling this is going to change "soon". I expect we'll have one large store front accessible from any of MSFT's platforms. Considering the amount of money Apple is pulling in indie and AAA app purchases on their store's, MSFT would be foolish to do otherwise in the long term.

EDIT:

@Josh, I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion of Consoles losing popularity to mobile devices. I don't disagree that mobile device usage is on the rise, I just don't necessarily think it's mobile device usage that is causing the decline in console and console game sales. Correlation != Causation. I'd very much like to see the same data on the previous generation consoles at the tail end of their life cycle as well before I'd make that conclusion.

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Let's make things happen.