4.6 Joints tilt when pushed by character controller

Herobot

Go to solution Solved by Josh,

Since the 4.6 update my platforms that use slider or kinematic joints will tilt around the joint position when pushed or stood on by a character controller. It's more pronounced when the character is standing a platform, especially on the edges. This is happening with both the SlidingDoor.lua and Platform.lua scripts even in new projects, ie the moving platforms map included in the fps template.

Greatly increasing the platform's mass reduces the tilting. At about 100 mass the tilt seems to stop, but this also causes a rubberband effect when the platform moves above a slow speed. I've tried adjusting the limits, friction and spring values on the joints but these seem to have no effect.

• Solution

The player will exert a force on objects it is standing on if the object has the "Scene" collision type. This is sort of a hack to make it so he exerts force on the see-saw puzzle. Try changing the platform collision type to "Prop".

• Upvote 2

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

22 minutes ago, Josh said:

The player will exert a force on objects it is standing on if the object has the "Scene" collision type. This is sort of a hack to make it so he exerts force on the see-saw puzzle. Try changing the platform collision type to "Prop".

This fixed it! Took me a bit to get it working, turns out that the default Platform.lua sets the entity's collison to scene in the start function.