Parent Behavor W/O Actually Parenting

reepblue

Hello,

This is going to be hard to explain, but I need to parent a model to an entity that I want hidden in-order to get custom VR models to work correctly. The issue is tjhat when the parent is hidden, all of it's children are forced hidden as well. There is a rubber band effect when you just apply the the parent's matrix to the child's matrix every frame.

// Update The model to the controller's matrix
	if (m_pControllerA != nil)
	{
		m_pControllerA->SetMatrix(VR::GetControllerModel(m_intControllerA)->GetMatrix());
	}

if (m_pControllerB != nil)
	{
		m_pControllerB->SetMatrix(VR::GetControllerModel(m_intControllerB)->GetMatrix());
	}

When it is parented to the controller, the models are one-to-one and there is no delay.My question is how do I mimic the matrix updating without actually doing any parenting?

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

I've decided to take a different direction with this. While It's still not 1:1, I now have a perk in doing it the way I am now. Still, would like some insight for future issues, :)

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

Yeah, now that I think about it, I had a similar issue trying to position and rotate a camera behind a player.  I only solved that by parenting the camera (which I know is not an option for you).  One other possibility: have you tried calling world->Update() after the SetMatrix function?  Seems like Leadwerks needs to catch up on positioning and that might do it.

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2019 at 7:41 AM, Josh said:

The controller may be NULL until it loads in. Make sure it exists before you apply the material.

I'll be sure to try again. If it's still crashing, I'll file a bug report.