Microsoft Mixed Reality compatibility (HP)

TheConceptBoy

Good day, could someone advise on a few questions. 

Can Microosft Mixed Reality Headsets used for game dev in Leadwerks / Turbo?

This is the headset I'm looking at. 
https://www.staples.ca/en/HP-Windows-Mixed-Reality-Headset-With-Controllers-VR1000-100/product_2800476_1-CA_1_20001
It's affordable, comes with controllers. I just need something entry level that I can develop for:

My main concern is developing a game on A Microsoft "mixed reality" headset and the game ending up not compatible with other headsets like HTC or Oculus. Is that a thing devs have to consider?

I did the VR video Josh mentioned.  I got a lenovo explorer. They were available for  110 pounds in the UK (roughly 150 dollars) on Black Friday, though I missed that deal by minutes and had to pay 150 (with a bit of cashback on top to ease the pain).

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-explorer-windows-mixed-reality-vr-headset-and-wireless-motion-controllers-14999-lenovo-uk-3116076

At that sort of price I'd say it was worth it.  For 350 UK pounds (if you were paying at staples in CAD 599) then I'm not so sure.  The head set is fine and REALLY handy that you can tilt up the visor but I found the controller tracking to be a bit iffy at times though maybe there are ways to improve it.  I think it may be better to wait and see what the Oculus Quest is like. 

I believe the Quest will become the standard Rift and the previous will be phased out. I think the Quest uses similar approach to Mixed Reality with an inside out system where the headset tracks the controllers and so you don't need base stations.  I think it is really made by Lenovo and sounds like is using some lessons learned from Mixed Reality implementations. I'm not an expert in the area so I could have some facts wrong there.

I've tried PS VR as well. I think that worked fine with Leadwerks too though to get the Move controllers working requires some effort so if you already have PSVR or know someone that does (which may be more common that other VR) then maybe borrow that just to get a feel for things though you need to by Trinus VR which is not free but I think it runs as a time limited trial.

Here is the Leadwerks VR test.  Rather wonky (seemed fine in the display!). 

For comparison the same room currently looks like this, though it is still a work in progress.

forth_cryo.thumb.jpg.92db8000c9cf04e9e4f0664584b959ec.jpg

• Like 2