Terrain uses more than 1700mb GRAM

MarilynManson

Terrain uses more than 1700mb GRAM

I have such a problem! I create an empty scene, create a player and a flat terrain 
without any textures, save, turn off the engine for freeing resources, launch it, 
and see that this scene uses more than 1700 MB of graphics memory. 
Can anyone say how this can be, how does a flat terrain without so much texture use so much memory?

System: Dell t5500 Xeon X5650 6/12
24 GB RAM Radeon R9 270x 2gb GRAM Everything is on the SSD of Windows 8.1

Terrane size minimum 256x256. If you set the minimum quality of the terrain, 
then no more than 300Mb is used, but if you set the high, then it reaches 1900Mb. 
I tried to take screenshots, but there are also problems, I get a black image.
I check through MSI Afterburner

The renderer generates clipmaps for the area surrounding the player. It doesn't really matter if you use textures or not, you are allocating clipmaps for those textures to be rendered to. This is how we are able to support any number of terrain texture layers.

The quality setting can be 0,1,2, or 3. If the highest setting is used (3) then the terrain will use three uncompressed RGB 8192x8192 clipmaps for diffuse and normal, which is works out to be about 1.5 gigabytes. I probably don't recommend using the highest setting.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I always use the printscn key. and then paste to a paint program. If you hold the alt key then it will only save the contents of the current window.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.