cassius

character half buried

Question

if I place a character on the map it is half hidden in terrain when I run the game.I have physics set as character controller and mass set at 30.In the past I have used code to load and place  characters .I know this question has come up before but I can't find answer. Any help???

18 answers to this question

The model's origin should be at its feet.

3 hours ago, Josh said:

The model's origin should be at its feet.

To clarify, we're talking about the world/global origin (coordinates 0, 0, 0) not the model's pivot.  In other words, the feet need to be just above the center of the global 3D space.

My character ( an orc) is buried up to waist level when the game is run despite being placed correctly on the terrain. I have had this prob before but cannot remember how I fixed it.

My character ( an orc) is buried up to waist level when the game is run despite being placed correctly on the terrain. I have had this prob before but cannot remember how I fixed it.

in the editor the physics cylinder only covers top half of character.

Sorry, we were talking about your 3D modeling program, not the editor.  The FBX needs to be exported after your model is moved above the origin.

ok thanks. The model looks fine in my other project where it is loaded in using code. I might do the same again, its only a couple of lines of code.

You are most likely offsetting. I think the editor might have a setting for this?

We have a setting for rotation but not for repositioning the character.

I suppose you could just create a pivot for the character physics and make the visual model a child of that.

• Like 1

If I load my model into blender how do I recognise the origin and move it?

1 hour ago, cassius said:

If I load my model into blender how do I recognise the origin and move it?

In blender put the character at ground level, that a grid that this and represents the floor, put the mesh, your feet on that grid.