Removal of Aggror (Jorn Theunissen) LW Tutorials

wadaltmon

I was just talking about this with someone on Discord and immediately after I posted this topic they directed me to his website. Apparently in April he expressed disdain with the stagnation of development on LW (given the focus on Turbo's development) and has stopped using and recommending it for games. Also he felt that the amount of messages he was getting due to some of the outdated stuff in those tutorials was not a good look, so he took them down. Unfortunate, as they were extremely helpful. I still found some of his source code on Github though.

it is a shame he took them down as they did help a lot 

it be nice if he come back and update them to the latest version of leadwerk

as josh is now keep version 4 updated for a while and turbo is a long way away

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

29 minutes ago, carlb said:

it is a shame he took them down as they did help a lot 

it be nice if he come back and update them to the latest version of leadwerk

as josh is now keep version 4 updated for a while and turbo is a long way away

I think he's disappointed that new features are not being added to LW4 as they are programmed, as they are instead being relegated to Turbo (for example, PBR could be added to LW4, and in fact already exists in user-made projects, but is being relegated to Turbo while competing engines surpass what LW or Turbo will have the capability to do at the same time). Josh does keep LW4 updated, but it's mostly with bug fixes and long-needed improvements anyway. All that said, I don't speak for Jorn, this is just speculation.

I'm okay waiting for Turbo for such features to be implemented, but the real question is what features Turbo will employ to make it actually appealing to use over competitors.

30 minutes ago, Josh said:

Our new game engine will deliver the fastest performance of any game engine available.

That's a bold claim, one that I'm sure comes with a few implied stipulations, but an intriguing one nonetheless. I'll be sure to test this out once Turbo is available in its full version for subscription. Thanks for the response.

39 minutes ago, wadaltmon said:

That's a bold claim, one that I'm sure comes with a few implied stipulations, but an intriguing one nonetheless. I'll be sure to test this out once Turbo is available in its full version for subscription. Thanks for the response.

A speed test against both Leadwerks 4 and the top engine competitors would be very welcome (I'm aware that you didn't say you'd do all of that).

15 minutes ago, gamecreator said:

A speed test against both Leadwerks 4 and the top engine competitors would be very welcome (I'm aware that you didn't say you'd do all of that).

I own LW4 of course and I'd be down to test Turbo against it and also as directly as possible against Unity, Unreal, and maybe Godot, Xenko, and others that could be suggested. (not GameMaker Studio 2, as that engine is massively expensive and isn't really suitable for 3D graphics imho). Of course this would be once Turbo goes into full release.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gamecreator said:

I've done one test against Unity and performance was *significantly* faster in our new engine. Of course I want to wait until we are closer to release before I make these publicly available.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

I've done one test against Unity and performance was *significantly* faster in our new engine. Of course I want to wait until we are closer to release before I make these publicly available.

Can you tell us what did the test actually competed against? What sort of performance is it that Turbo performed better at?

7 minutes ago, Mr_SquarePeg said:

I am curious to know what the frame rate was. :)

It was literally like 100x faster. Vulkan made it 200x times faster.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.