Language support(idea to help stand out)

SteamingIce

The main thing people worry about (most people anyway) when they buy an engine, is the coding language. One issue I have had even with the most popular engines is the fact that I am proficient in C++ and C# yet 10/10 times I am picking between the two. Imagine if an engine had support for more languages? Theyd be the easy pick. I cant count how many times I have been coding in UE4 and said FK I wish they accepted C#, or Unity and C++. 

I am unsure exactly HOW difficult it would be, but adding C# support would probably give you guys more traction as the more languages you are compatible with, the more people will choose your engine over others. Just a thought to run by you guys in this day and age of free programs.

c# is comming to trubo later

c++ is supported and lua right now

and c# wapper for leadwerk people are doing but seem to get drop when a new version of leadwerk come out

but anyway josh has said turbo will have lua c++ and c#

• Thanks 1

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

2 hours ago, SteamingIce said:

The main thing people worry about (most people anyway) when they buy an engine, is the coding language. One issue I have had even with the most popular engines is the fact that I am proficient in C++ and C# yet 10/10 times I am picking between the two. Imagine if an engine had support for more languages? Theyd be the easy pick. I cant count how many times I have been coding in UE4 and said FK I wish they accepted C#, or Unity and C++. 

I am unsure exactly HOW difficult it would be, but adding C# support would probably give you guys more traction as the more languages you are compatible with, the more people will choose your engine over others. Just a thought to run by you guys in this day and age of free programs.

While more languages can attract more users it also adds overhead for the creators of the engine. It becomes just another thing to spend time on and Josh would have to determine if it's worth it. If it doesn't drive enough customers to makeup for the time spent on it is it really worth it? Someone who knows C# inside and out might already know C++ or willing to learn it since today they are getting more and more similar given C++'s advancements. So it might not scare those people away to not have C#. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rick said:

While more languages can attract more users it also adds overhead for the creators of the engine. It becomes just another thing to spend time on and Josh would have to determine if it's worth it. If it doesn't drive enough customers to makeup for the time spent on it is it really worth it? Someone who knows C# inside and out might already know C++ or willing to learn it since today they are getting more and more similar given C++'s advancements. So it might not scare those people away to not have C#. 

Yeah that's fair enough. I just remember me looking at Unity and Unreal engine and I was so annoyed that neither of them supported C++ and C# given I am using C# as a starting language and VERY slowly learning C++ due to the complexity.