Performace and Lights

Daemoc

Go to solution Solved by Daemoc,

Is there much of a performance hit when using a high number of lights if they do not cast shadows? I have done tests with a ton of lights without issue myself, but I have pretty stout hardware.

Lets say I make a catwalk and I have lights running along both sides. I was wondering how much of an impact on low spec hardware it would be if I gave each light a small point light. No shadows of course.

Is there a soft limit I should not go over per map?

• Like 1

I think I am going to run a few test maps with 10's to 100's of lights without shadows and see what the impact is on some low spec hardware. Some very simple maps, just a cube maybe? Something to really isolate the lights impact. I have access to a few windows machines with integrated graphics at work.

• Solution

I ran a few tests myself and there is a definite impact on frame rate when a lot of lights are involved. It was odd though, the impact seemed to be non-linear. 1-10 really had no impact at all. 10-30 had a steady impact. 50+ tanked the frame rate in a hurry. I don't know how hardware dependent this is either.

The most important thing I learned is that you can have 10,000 lights on your map with no impact as long as they are not all being drawn at the same time. I will try to keep the light's on screen count under 10. I will also have to make sure the "detail" lights can be turned of on low spec machines.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:17 PM, Daemoc said:

The most important thing I learned is that you can have 10,000 lights on your map with no impact as long as they are not all being drawn at the same time. I will try to keep the light's on screen count under 10. I will also have to make sure the "detail" lights can be turned of on low spec machines.

I think this will be easy to do in a top-down game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.