Some questions about Leadwerks

Term_Grecos

So I have been considering playing around with game making as a sort of hobby but have been concerned with what engine to use. With Unreal the programing aspect is lackluster, and Unity does not have all that great performance for larger games. I got this engine on a sale on steam a while ago and have started to get a little interested, but also a little warded off. From a number of reviews and whatnot on steam, there have been a number of problems stated, although those are from a few years ago. I was wondering firstly if this engine has actually fixed the problems that developers used to have with the game.

Another question is in regards to linux support. I have had a variety of reports that Leadwerks does not support Linux anymore. If I want to use Leadwerks on linux or make games for linux, is that no longer possible?

From looking at the game page on the site, it seems like almost all the games are very small scale. I am trying to see if I can make a sort of remaster of Fallout New Vegas with vehicles and modifiable terrain as a personal project. Is something like that possible with this engine or will there be problems with making a game of that scale?

Linux support has stop for now but it still work on ubuntu 16.04 am sure josh will start support Linux again later but i have to say it hard to support all version out there.

i think it looks small scale of games as most of them are by India programmers but some of the stuff josh did with nasa is large scale, but you need a team of people not one person to do that type of stuff. fallout was a team of 25 to 100 people to make the game. not something one person can do 

forgot to say check out the zone that not bad map show what the engine can do and it a good size as well

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

We support Ubuntu 16.04. In the future I am going to use as few of third-party libraries as possible on Linux, but it's not possible to fix existing libs that keep breaking.

The engine scales well, but you have to pay attention to optimization.

I have seen people do things like have ten point lights constantly re-rendering a million extra polygons each frame, or a 10,000 poly collision mesh, and of course this can kill performance. Sometimes people want to just ignore these kinds of things, but optimization is an important part of development, and it should be paid attention to from the very start.

The new engine I am working on does some very advanced things in order to handle the massive data the aerospace customers are working with, and I think this will have a good effect for game developers as well. It will still be possible to hit bottlenecks in the new engine, but I think most people will never come close.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

4 hours ago, Josh said:

In the future I am going to use as few of third-party libraries as possible on Linux, but it's not possible to fix existing libs that keep breaking.

I love the engine being ready to use with any number of helpful libraries.  The ones I use most are Steam and of course the zip library (through Leadwerks) which lets you access data/pak/zip files.  That said, I think Steam would be easy to incorporate separately, if necessary.  I am planning on using GameAnalytics more heavily but I'm not confident that I could incorporate this easily myself (it also relies on libcurl, I believe).  And again, back on the other side of the coin, if there was a step-by-step incorporation tutorial for Leadwerks, I think that would do.

2 minutes ago, gamecreator said:

I love the engine being ready to use with any number of helpful libraries.  The ones I use most are Steam and of course the zip library (through Leadwerks) which lets you access data/pak/zip files.  That said, I think Steam would be easy to incorporate separately, if necessary.  I am planning on using GameAnalytics more heavily but I'm not confident that I could incorporate this easily myself (it also relies on libcurl, I believe).  And again, back on the other side of the coin, if there was a step-by-step incorporation tutorial for Leadwerks, I think that would do.

What I mean is GTK and some other Linux libs that change with each version of Linux.

There is another reason to make components optional, and that is because we can more easily update software for enterprise customers if they can skip optional components.

Steam and GA would both be good candidates to make as a plugin, though I am not sure yet exactly how it would work.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

5 hours ago, Josh said:

We support Ubuntu 16.04. In the future I am going to use as few of third-party libraries as possible on Linux, but it's not possible to fix existing libs that keep breaking.

The engine scales well, but you have to pay attention to optimization.

I have seen people do things like have ten point lights constantly re-rendering a million extra polygons each frame, or a 10,000 poly collision mesh, and of course this can kill performance. Sometimes people want to just ignore these kinds of things, but optimization is an important part of development, and it should be paid attention to from the very start.

The new engine I am working on does some very advanced things in order to handle the massive data the aerospace customers are working with, and I think this will have a good effect for game developers as well. It will still be possible to hit bottlenecks in the new engine, but I think most people will never come close.

I see, then it should do decently well then. I noticed something called Turbo, is that stuff going to be a newer version of leadwerks or is it an entirely new engine?

On 8/22/2019 at 8:20 AM, carlb said:

Linux support has stop for now but it still work on ubuntu 16.04 am sure josh will start support Linux again later but i have to say it hard to support all version out there.

i think it looks small scale of games as most of them are by India programmers but some of the stuff josh did with nasa is large scale, but you need a team of people not one person to do that type of stuff. fallout was a team of 25 to 100 people to make the game. not something one person can do 

forgot to say check out the zone that not bad map show what the engine can do and it a good size as well

I know, I'm just doing New Vegas to help develop my skills in things like blender and animation and stuff. Start out making something like a cup, then a car, then a house, village, etc... I can handle it taking a while, besides since I am upgrading what currently exists it shouldn't take as much time as starting from scratch.

56 minutes ago, Term_Grecos said:

I see, then it should do decently well then. I noticed something called Turbo, is that stuff going to be a newer version of leadwerks or is it an entirely new engine?

turbo is the new engine that josh is making and it using vulkan not opengl for rendering so it a lot faster and better support for more platforms later on

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit