big maps performance?

Nexerade

how's leadwerks now with big maps?

are there any optimizations for brushes that are far away from camera? Is there any examples of big maps made with brushes and not heightmap with models and LODs?

What I mean is if I'm gonna use brushes to make a map, how big could it be, or something not really big, like counter strike size maps?? 

I am not silly. My english is just not really great. T_T

But I'm learning! :D

It depends on your video card, how much you have on your map and your settings.  Leadwerks has a separate vegetation tool which uses billboards for vegetation in the distance.  You also have a few settings you can specify, like how far you can see things, to optimize.  I'd suggest creating a map and littering it with vegetation and playing with the settings to test it yourself.

Hardware occlusion culling is used to hide areas of the map that are not visible. It's more about how much is visible at once rather than how big a map is.

Yes, it can easily handle anything you see in Counterstrike.

• Thanks 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The most annoying problem I get with 4096*4096 map is occurred with the paint tool.

At the begin of your work it will be ok, but after a while, charging the map with models and vegetation, I encountered the problem that the save function just doesn't save the map painted as you did, leaving the entire map only with the first main texture on it.

This was a very annoying when painting roads or ways with the paint tool. Because all the roads were erased after a while.

But yes give a test yourself.

thx here in upload is the map with I got this problem for a few days...Well without models and anything, right ?

I tried to "paint" the map with 4 textures, one day I loaded the map and the entire map was only the first main texture to see. I would be so happy to see this solved.

I never get the bug on 1024*1024 map, even with "complicated" painted muster with over 10 different textures...

MainGameT8.map

And the gpu

50555108_Screenshot(99).thumb.png.dd50abec716c5caaa9a39737c9e01e44.png

you know 8gb of ram is not good you most likely need 16gb and you on a 64bit os so you do need more memory

as you not have much memory left for leadweak

as i bet it doing a lot for memory swapping on the disk drive so could be the problem

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

Maybe this is true, I don't Know ..I'm surprised because I can run big games like Creed origins  or witcher 3 without too much problems.. But maybe yes..

So you speak about vram, dedicated memory that is actually on my system about 4000...

Could this not enough .. That could explain why it runs on little maps.

13 hours ago, carlb said:

you know 8gb of ram is not good you most likely need 16gb and you on a 64bit os so you do need more memory

as you not have much memory left for leadweak

as i bet it doing a lot for memory swapping on the disk drive so could be the problem

Nah, Leadwerks is a 32-bit app and won't even recognize those amounts of RAM. I am guessing driver problem. Will try out the sample map provided.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

@Josh

About the map I provided:

I got the problem with this map a few time ago but I don't know how react the save function...I mean:

It could be that I saved more times after that the erasing of the painted surfaces occur, so I don't know if it is still a good map to try?

Maybe I can provide you a fresh map with the bug just occurred...It is pretty unpredictable how and when it occurs.

• 6 months later...

Hey People I come back to this because I really have a bad trip with this.

I just build a 4096*4096 map and tried to paint it with 6 different textures. I have only the character controller on the map. In the editor the painted zone is ok, but as soons as the game runs, the colored textures  disappeared. Here you can see it:

1) Game scene in the editor (player is in the circle of grass)

1930047408_Capturedcran(3).thumb.png.9428bdb08fa21e34bccca29f1ea1c14b.png

2) when running the game: (no grass and no flowers)

1629233190_Capturedcran(4).thumb.png.0404c144e16c1096ba568395c93aa627.png

This is upsetting please anybody for help thx

It is like only 4 textures are saved, everything else will be ignored....