AutoBillboard post effects

omid3098

I don't know how they are generating, so I don't know if this feature is possible or not.

as you can see in this image:

01.jpg

generated billboards are brighter than vegetations. it seems they don't generate with ssao, default shadows or other postprocessing effects.

is it possible to affect user-define values before generating vegetations?

for example if SSAO is enabled, billboards generate with SSAO(in same color range)

and if user swithched off SSAO, they generate without SSAO.

Omid Saadat

OD Arts Blog

AMD Phenom II X4 940 - Geforce 8800GTS - 4GB RAM - XP x86

AMD 6000+ - Geforce 9800 GT - 2GB RAM - XP x86 (Home pc)

Intel Core i7 - Geforce 310M - 4GB Ram - Win7 x64 (Laptop)

SSAO may not appear on billboards because their depth information is different than what you would get with real geometry. It's not a matter of enabling an effect for them, it's just due to the difference in what is being rendered.

It would be possible to generate a depth texture for the billboard and write out the value into the depth buffer, but then you would lose early z discard, which would not be worth it. The fillrate requirements would increase by a lot, and I don't think whatever quality gains you got would be worth it.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

What did you alter? Just the diffuse texture? Do you get a perfect match for all lighting environments?

I think the specular component might be what is throwing the colors off in the first image.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

only diffuse texture changed in second image.. actually I didn't even checked whether normal texture has alpha channel!

however I don't think this change results. because all billboards were the same color. and normally they were not in correct direction to reflect sunlight..

I have plan to paint some back paints on them these days. then I will play with specular channel too.

thanks for the point..

Edit: I didn't checked for other lighting environments. but I will..

Omid Saadat

OD Arts Blog

AMD Phenom II X4 940 - Geforce 8800GTS - 4GB RAM - XP x86

AMD 6000+ - Geforce 9800 GT - 2GB RAM - XP x86 (Home pc)

Intel Core i7 - Geforce 310M - 4GB Ram - Win7 x64 (Laptop)