Updating Force Vector From FlowGraph

Megalocerous

First off - hello! It has been a while since I've used Leadwerks, but I have decided to install it again and actively use it.

I figured the best way to remember how to use the engine would be to re-create my Beach Roll entry submitted for one of the summer jams a few years back, but make it less bad and add a lot of fun level design obstacles/features, updated camera view, actual game menu etc.

So for most of this I have been creating scripts in lua and making them usable in flowgraph. This way I can just script what the object should do, then I can just wire it up in the level as its needed.

The current issue I have is with creating a "Wind Zone" trigger script. Basically when the player rolls into the trigger, it should add force in a given direction based on the scripts force vector property. Then when the player leaves the trigger it should stop applying the force. I used the collision-enter-exit script from the wikidot to achieve this. The only problem is that when I move into the first zone, it applies the correct force, the second zone works properly, the third zone does...but then if I move back into any of the previous zones it will still apply the last zones force. Upon re-entering the same zone (after it applied the incorrect force the first time) it applies the right force.

I'm sure it is either a logic issue or the way I am handling the variable for it, but I've attached a test project with a map and everything wired up in case anyone wanted to take a look.

Thanks!

WindZoneTest.zip

I was curious and took a look at the flowgraph. That is some pretty complex logic at first glance. If I was designing this I would probably just do something like this in the windzone script:

function Script:Collision(entity, position, normal, speed)
	entity:AddForce(self.force)
end

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Yeah I apologize I was working on it late last night and its possible that I over complicated it.

That is similar to how the bounce block or bounce zone works, which is good on the initial collision. But for this I am thinking design wise that it will be a constant force added while you are inside the zone, but removing the force when you are outside of it.

Just adding the force on collision like this doesn't check on exit and keeps applying it no? At least that is what seems to happen when I write it like that. 

On 6/23/2020 at 4:40 PM, JMK said:

I was curious and took a look at the flowgraph. That is some pretty complex logic at first glance. If I was designing this I would probably just do something like this in the windzone script:

function Script:Collision(entity, position, normal, speed)
	entity:AddForce(self.force)
end

Just to follow up on this -

This seems to work better in 4.5 then in 4.6.

4.6 seems to keep calling entity:AddForce() even after exiting the trigger zone, which I am guessing is not supposed to happen?

I think I fixed this by re-writing my player script differently and then using 2 different triggers. One that triggers the wind, one that disables it. Now when the player enters the "wind zone" they will be fighting against the force constantly and if they get pushed out of the zone they will stop having the force applied.

Script.playerSpeed = 10.0 --float "Player Speed"
Script.windForce = 20.0 --float "Wind Force"
Script.windVector = Vec3(0,0,-1) --vec3 "Wind Vector"

local isWindActivated = false

function Script:Start()

self.world = World:GetCurrent()
	self.isAlive = true
	-- Create camera
	self.camera = Camera:Create()
--	self.camera:SetFOV(90)
	self.camera:SetProjectionMode(Camera.Orthographic)
	self.camera:SetZoom(50)
	--load the font
	self.font = Font:Load("Fonts/Ranchers-Regular.ttf",48)
	--update the camera
	self:UpdateCamera()
end

function Script:UpdateWorld()

self:UpdateCamera()

end

function Script:UpdatePhysics()

self:MovementInput()
end

function Script:UpdateCamera()
	self.camera:SetRotation(45, -35, 0)
	self.camera:SetPosition(self.entity:GetPosition().x, self.entity:GetPosition().y, self.entity:GetPosition().z)
	self.camera:Move(0, 0, -30)

end

function Script:MovementInput()
	local moveVector = Vec3()
	local window = Window:GetCurrent()

if window:KeyDown(Key.W) then moveVector.z = 1 end
	if window:KeyDown(Key.S) then moveVector.z = -1 end
	if window:KeyDown(Key.A) then moveVector.x = -1 end
	if window:KeyDown(Key.D) then moveVector.x = 1 end

local normalizedVector = moveVector:Normalize() * self.playerSpeed
	local vectorWithWind = (moveVector:Normalize() * self.playerSpeed) + (self.windVector * self.windForce)

if isWindActivated then
		self.entity:AddForce(vectorWithWind)
	else
		self.entity:AddForce(normalizedVector)
	end
end

function Script:EnableWind()--in

isWindActivated = true
end

function Script:Disable()--in

isWindActivated = false
end