Preview of the new crowdfunding campaign

Josh

The new engine has a lot of features besides just the 3D capabilities. "Ultra App Kit" is planned to be the foundation of all my new game development tools, and it's getting released early as a development framework for building desktop applications. This is how the new editor will be written, and user-created extensions will use the same system to add new interface elements. This is all stuff I have to finish anyways, so releasing this ahead of the engine does not slow us down.

The plan is to launch a crowdfunding campaign with a fairly low minimum goal and then release this by Christmas so you can start building your own applications and tools, with the 3D product to follow in the spring.

What do you think?

• Like 6

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Nice presentation Josh! You are giving a nice solution for who wants a fast and reliable UI system for a desktop application. Mostly of time when we are building a desktop application we always gets a feelings as "my desktop application feels old" in compare with a electron application using a CSS3 and HTML5 benefits. But you get the point! Web applications can be beultyful and with Electron easy to use in multplatform, but... is not responsive as a real desktop application, not even in feel. A good, modern, multiplatform and extensible UI API for desktop could be a nice solution for alot softwares more the game Engines where for me be responsive and lite weigth is very important where you are working with expensive workloads. I am exciting to use your Ultra App Kit and replace my Hell abstraction layer in my desktop applications here.

That is a good summary of the reasons I went with this approach.

If all is well, this will launch on Sunday. If you guys can spread the word aggressively on game development forums, reddit, hacker news, Linux forums, and everywhere else it will make all the difference in the world.

Hl2 Gman GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The speed vs. Electron seems to be the thing that is really sticking with people, so I am going to focus on that. I think the message to put out there is "It looks good like Electron but isn't slow".

You had me at documentation. I used imgui for my engines editor (a project I developed through my dissertation that has turned into a small obsession of mine) and scraping the source code was always a tedious task. Plus this looks damn sexy, and those "other features" ohhh baby, got my loins burning. The moment my wallet gets a sniff of a penny you can consider this backed!

On 10/23/2020 at 8:53 PM, havenphillip said:

I'm not sure what this is

I'm a little confused by this too.  Is this a separate product from Ultra Engine?  Or will this App Kit eventually gain all the features of a game engine (like terrain, etc.)?  If so, will backing this Kickstarter get you all the future features?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gamecreator said:

That doesn't really answer any of my questions.

It’s not going to be upgraded into a game engine. It’s just it’s own thing. I was able to do this without losing any time, and it’s something I can release by Christmas.

• 3 weeks later...

I think there will be a project template and generator, like you enter in the project name, destination folder, and it creates the new project. But it's simple enough you could just include the lib and headers yourself into an existing project.

• Like 2