UAK vs Custom iOS Views, efficiency Q

Staplers

Hey Josh! I don't mean to burst your bubble so I'll try to word this as neutrally as I can.

As an iOS developer, I worked on games for Big Fish in 2010. We created custom views such that, we literally had to write no new code until we got to a puzzle. In other words, we made 30+ scenes per game doing nothing more than drag and drop, using pure native tools (on top of bugs). Android is a bit less functional, but can do custom views its own way, also reducing code.

This includes complex things with see-thru and interaction. We also used similar at other jobs. When you get into Swift UI and Autolayout, these tools vanish and your workflow becomes slow and honestly I don't understand the fanatacism for "new things" when all they do is add weights to your ankles. A bit of algebra will handle everything autolayout does and you never have to write it more than once.

That said, when I see UAK, I have to ask... is this really a time-saver for mobile developers?

Sorry about the long premise, but there's a million Swift developers now that think it's OK to create pointers to access variables in superclasses because that's how ReactJS taught them to do things, and I needed to establish that I know how to code proper. They also think functional code "erases the problem where you have random memory everywhere" and I'm like "How the hell do you get that problem? Do you type with a blindfold and ignore all the principles of dev?"

• Haha 1

Yeah I don't know how my head went to VR. As for UAK, the marketing material talks about unifying multiple things, so I thought iOS and similar. Qt used to work but then they went all commercial and there's no point unless you're writing enterprise apps. So this may be a nice alternative from those expensive ones. 

Telerik is... a different market altogether, but similar idea