Official documentation

Josh

My issues with the current documentation are: (in order of importance)

1. lack of descriptions and/or examples in some places
2. not up-to-date
3. more guidelines for creation & optimization (octree, LOD, vegetation, shaders... )
4. it should be included in the SDK for offline access !!!!
5. even more guidelines, facts, numbers and info ( so one doesn't have to search the forums to find that the current and future versions of engine use newton 2.20 for example  )
99. the design

So I'm happy that the documentation is getting some attention (hopefully some of my issues will be addressed) plus it looks better which is always good :D

This is what I was describing.

C documentation:

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/page/databases/docs?record=1〈=c

C++ documentation:

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/page/databases/docs?record=1〈=cpp

Lua documentation:

http://leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/page/databases/docs?record=1〈=lua

I'd like to have icons that clearly show what language you are looking at but I am having trouble finding a C icon.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

lol who posted that pic of a cat? Annika or Josh?

wellz anyways...make sure you actually have examples Josh that's super important for people like me I think Arrrrrgh ^^

Oh but if Aggror's the one doing it there will be no problems the examples will be excellent

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

If C# syntax were included, would it need to look any different from regular C? Is there any compelling reason to add a dropdown box for C# syntax?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

C# has nothing to do with C or C++, it's a completely different language. It's more like Visual Basic.NET actually, although it has some elements from C++, mostly then when it's not using any libraries. But when you use system libraries, you can't tell always if it's VB.NET or C#.

Well, it's a mix of C, C++, VB.NET, but not compatible with any of them directly.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Guest Red Ocktober

lookin' good...

but...

i still don't see no BlitzMAX drop down...

and yes... C# is not c++ by any means...

--Mike

I think it's not even possible in C# to do procedural programming, since everything needs to be in a class. So it's also a bit like the Eiffel programming language. Of course you could put all LE commands into one huge class, but that might cause also problems if a class is too big, and it doesn't really bring any benefit either. So I think the C# headers should be like the LEO headers, since everyone who uses C# wants to use OOP too.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

AAAAAAAAArgh.. procedural programming, what a bad thing to me :)

Luckily it doesn't exist in C#, it's full OOP and use namespaces and classes. The usage syntax and function names and namespace and almost all the code from C# wrapper is completely different from any other language here, both C/C++ and LEO (some similarity here) and BMax and Lua.

It needs its own placeholder in the dropdown list if you wish to support it, I can help in writing the C# syntax documentation and examples. I'm also planning to add summary comments in the wrapper itself for all the functions and constructors so that we can use something like Doxygen to automatically create CHM and HTML help files.

?? FRANCESCO CROCETTI ??

http://skaredcreations.com

Actually I would love to see some kind of offline documentation as I'm traveling frequently and the wiki is not very useful in that case. Yes I just could mirror it from time to time but that is not very optimal.

Triassic Games

@ Rick, On one hand you are right. A simple low graphical cost system like truevision has benefits. It takes lesser space, quicker navigation, better overview.

However in the world of today where visuals are becoming more important. personally I am okay with this but there will be many people who will complain that this style is to 'old looking'. Ofcourse many programs still use this kind of help system.

If this documentation style can be mixed with easily swapping of several languages and a little more(slightly improved)graphics. Plus, I think this style is easier for offline documentation.

I like the treeview too for command reference, but it's impossible for frames to work right without filling up the entire page. I wanted to make a treeview table of contents on the left, and the page contents on the right, and have it embedded within the page template, but apparently that is impossible.

I could definitely dedicate some time to proper C# documentation, both for the straight C# API, as well as for the full wrapper that now exists.

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

Yes, I will in a minute. I am away at a university so I have to TeamView into my developer PC.

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

Can you type what C# syntax documentation would look like for PositionEntity(), in this thread? That's what I am getting at.

OOP syntax:

Entity myEntity = new Entity();
myEntity.Position = new Vector3(1.5f, 2f, 4.5f);
myEntity.GlobalPosition = new Vector3(1.5f, 2f, 4.5f);

Core API syntax:

Core.PositionEntity(IntPtr entity, float[] position, int global);

?? FRANCESCO CROCETTI ??

http://skaredcreations.com