pureLIGHT for Leadwerks

Josh

I'm still a bit unsure about purelight after playing around with it. It didnt work for me out of the box and seems a bit to confusing in some parts although I'm used to render programs.

But I'll give it some more tries. :P

What part didn't work for you?

BTW for anyone who doesn't know it yet, they have some video tutorials here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pureLIGHTTech

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz

GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

4 GB RAM

I'm still a bit unsure about purelight after playing around with it. It didnt work for me out of the box and seems a bit to confusing in some parts although I'm used to render programs.

But I'll give it some more tries. :P

If there's anything in particular that is confusing to you, feel free to ask and we can help clear it up for you.

Or feel free to offer suggestions for how to make it work for you.

pureLIGHT lead programmer

Thanks for your response. I have to dig deeper into it but need to finish two jobs before. :)

All I did was to export a scene into one .ase, saved out the scene in prelight, loaded in purelight and only got a grey viewport without anything in it.

Before using .ase i tried .dae three times which gave me loading errors in prelight.

All in all Purelight seems to be very well documented so I don't want to call it bad. I just need some more time. :)

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

Thanks for your response. I have to dig deeper into it but need to finish two jobs before. :)

All I did was to export a scene into one .ase, saved out the scene in prelight, loaded in purelight and only got a grey viewport without anything in it.

Before using .ase i tried .dae three times which gave me loading errors in prelight.

All in all Purelight seems to be very well documented so I don't want to call it bad. I just need some more time. :)

Hmm, we can investigate the dae errors for you if you send one of the affected meshes to support@purelighttech.com. What 3d Modelling program/exporter are you using to generate the dae files?

If you just have a grey viewport, its possible that your mesh is just located far away from the camera. Does it show up under the meshes menu at the top?

pureLIGHT lead programmer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all, 1st post since buying LE last month. I like the idea of purelight but have a couple or 3 questions.

1. The Purelight pipeline shows "3D APP -> ASE, COLLADA -> PURELIGHT -> LIGHTING -> GAME ENGINE".

If I create a highly detailed model (maybe from zbrush) and want to use normal mapping with a lower resolution model, does Purelight work with the low res model and take the normal map into account when baking OR do I use the hi res model within Purelight then apply the maps in say 3DS Max before exporting to LE? does Purelight make a new normal map to match resolution with the light map?

2. Lets say I model a cabinet which I want to open the door(s) within LE. Would I run Purelight on the cabinet without door(s) to avoid a dark interior, then start a new file to bake just the door(s)? If LE takes care of shadows, is this the procedure to bake the light maps?

3. If LE does the shadows, and this LE edition of Purelight discards the primary lighting, do I bake using ambient lighting only?

It would be nice to see a tutorial showing the whole pipeline from expoting the model to Purelight then importing into LE.

Thanks

me again,

In the Purlight video tutorials where it shows a living room with sofas, bookshelf etc..the results look impressive, but I am unable to see how this scence can be dynamic within LE. Lets say i wanted to import the scene into LE but I wanted to allow the user to pick up and move objects, for example the chair to the opposite wall or remove it from the scence. I am still going to see the dark area where the chair used to be, am I missing something or is this technique soley for static scenes, despite the fact that LE can dynamically display shadows on top of the pre-lit scence. Basically making it useful for an architectural fly-through or similar?

It is very limiting for interaction if I have to separate all the dynamic objects from the prelit parts of the scene and would probably look strange to have half the objects looking less realistically lit. Am I correct?

Can someone explain if the interactive elements do work with this method of lighting.

Thanks

It is very limiting for interaction if I have to separate all the dynamic objects from the prelit parts of the scene and would probably look strange to have half the objects looking less realistically lit. Am I correct?

Can someone explain if the interactive elements do work with this method of lighting.

It generates shadow and light maps, so the lighting is static but it is of a far higher quality, than you could get with dynamic lights. To me, the output looks like what you'd get with a ray tracer.

So it depends on what your goals are with your app, if you want to pick up objects purelight has lit and throw them around the room, it would not work.

LWs dynamic lights still works with it, but there are limitations. For instance if you are carrying a torch, the static lit object shadows will not move because they are pre-calculated. However the areas they already affect will change in brightness.

So again, you have to think carefully about what your goals are and make the necessary trade offs.

Some people create simple programs to show off architectural designs to clients. Purelight is the perfect app for this. Others want to make games where static lighting with a gorgeous ray traced look, makes their game look stunning. Purelight is perfect for this as well.

Have a look a their demo vids on Youtube to see what I'm talking about.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz

GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

4 GB RAM