Hey general question here for my game idea...

niv3k

i found this gorgeous character thats only 53,557 polygons. i haven't even looked backwards to find any other decent models, cause i believe i'm in love.

anyways i was planning on buying this character at set price of $200 for my future game in Leadwerks. I was wondering if it would be alright to have such a realistic main character and have such "almost" realistic characters as AI? i was going to pay for some really nice low poly guns that look amazing and only under 4,000 polys under 100 bucks each.

also when the new update for the api that has tessellation included, will highly increase the other characters, weapons, and environments.

i would post urls...but i don't want everyone else having the same stuff as me :lol:

hahahha...yeah its a female, but she'd look bada$$ in a action game. its like angelina jolie...she brings the audience into her movies cause of her sexiness.

so i decided if i were to get this female playable in my game, then i might come out with a game that attracts the male audience :P

and with that i'll write on the cover "play responsibly."

i'm very excited, and imma have to plan out a story and what kind of world i want in this game.

The polycount seems excessive to me. That could mean quads, in which case it would be over 100,000 triangles.

not quads. quote from creator "Model of a woman with skirt and tie, completly rigged and with over 30 facial blends, the model is fast to render and have no more than 55000 polygons, is ready for animation and for close renderings."

100,000 triangle characters are not needed to make a realistic game. :P

Here is a great looking character model that's only 15-20,000 triangles: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74780

okay this is a lot better. stupid modeling sites have no good game models. this guy looks like clint eastwood. haha thanks Dave, I'll contact some people.

not quads. quote from creator "Model of a woman with skirt and tie, completly rigged and with over 30 facial blends, the model is fast to render and have no more than 55000 polygons, is ready for animation and for close renderings."

google is great I found your model just by searching for that quote :P

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

Actually this is a good question.

How do we decide what polycount is ideal for our games? Do we just try it and see what works? Or is there a systematic method? :)

In my case I'm making my own models for my game, but as I am learning 3D modeling at the same time, my poly counts are high. So it would be nice to know what I should be shooting for.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz

GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

4 GB RAM

yeah..cubes are pointless since they are like 12 triangles and don't require any performance, so me adding high poly characters in place of those cubes would definitely destroy what was built around the cubes. you're game is to be built around your character, and what your character is suppose to do.

cubes are only good for weapon testing or camera testing, nothing that needs performance.

cubes are pointless since they are like 12 triangles and don't require any performance.

In that case, do what kids in school do: model something close to a stickman

2 cubes for feet, 6 cubes for legs (2 upper, 2 knee-caps, 2 lower)

1 hips/waist area

1 for torso and chest

8 for arms (2 upper, 2 elbows, 2 forearms, 2 hands)

1 neck

1 head

So, now instead of one cube, you have fourteen. so 14x more performance power is needed for the rendering... :)

...And finally, the most important detail for the male audience

2 hi-poly spheres (with the back cut off) at the front of the back cut off chest area (eh? Comprehension monster must have interfered). Must be high poly because this is where the male audience are going to spend 95+% of their time looking... More polygons in this area equals more performance will be required :). Also, Make them unnaturally big too, because you'll only get one chance to impress your audience.

Edit: wow, looks like the spelling monster got hold of quite a few words

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

yeah..cubes are pointless since they are like 12 triangles and don't require any performance, so me adding high poly characters in place of those cubes would definitely destroy what was built around the cubes. you're game is to be built around your character, and what your character is suppose to do.

cubes are only good for weapon testing or camera testing, nothing that needs performance.

Sorry, but this is quite simply wrong! You will be six months into your basic game engine design before you have any need for high poly characters believe me, if you're planning on making a serious game engine that is. Not saying that you don't need to keep in mind the fact that you will be upping the poly count eventually but there is absolutely no need initially for high quality finished characters. A simple low poly animated character is all you need initially and yes ... even an cube will suffice in the early days!

What's more, it makes more sence to leave the purchasing of the final quality assets to near the end of the project as this might well be several years down the line, if it's a serious title, and the technology never stands still!

Also, Make them unnaturally big too, because you'll only get one chance to impress your audience.

:)

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

General rules:

-Main character: up to 15-20K

-Side characters: up to 8-12K

-Noticeable props: up to 4-6K

-Vegetation (trees): up to 4-6K

-Small props: up to 1K

-Buildings: Extremely variable

Please note the "up to". In this case, less is more, considering you can model it right.