Autosave System!

Michael Betke

I'm so annoyed and upset. I lost hours of terrain painting, vegetation placement and road placement because of an Access violation during save!

This happens not the first time and its the worst what can happen. I do daily backups but don't have time to backup before every save.

Due the lack of a little feature named "Undo" I have to save very often during work and can't mess around in my folder to do hundereds of autosaves.

I have tight deadlines and I can't do my stuff over and over again in such situations. What should I say my clients?

It's so silly that such a great engine doensn't have essential and industry wide established features like an autosave or undo.

I can life with unpolished software as long as it doesn't affect my business but seeing my .sbx files saved not completly in a standard save situation is ridiculous.

I can't even merge the two .sby files because of the road system in the .sbx too - with a non-text format. Well done!

(Now that I wrote my upsetness away I calm down and get back to work)

• Upvote 1

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

I totally agree and this issue just gets ignored and ignored and ignored!!! I feel like we are just banging our heads against a brick wall. It just makes Leadwerks Editor feel very unprofessional and causes untold frustration when things do go wrong.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

It happend again!

I saved all few minutes and it seems the editor doesn't save properly after pressing "save" in some cases but works without flaws.

So I overwrote my second backup directory with a faulty version.

Now ALL vegetation and texture layers are GONE!

PLUS my Backup!

This is so ****in up. I'm really upset. How can such a bad tested version be releasedd? This is a SEVERE bug.

Am I supposed to keep dozents of folder with a complete level backup and have to check everytime if the editor saved my level properly?

This can't all be true....now I can contact my client and tell him his work won't be finished in time which will likely cost me follow up jobs.

The .sbx stopped beeing saved at this point:

Terrain {

altitude=100.000000

resolution=4096

meterspertile=1.00000000

hiddentiles=0

basetexture="terrain_lashkargah_overlay_4096.dds"

}

All vegetation and texture stuff after this is not present in the .sbx

I'm using GIT to publish all changes to any files in my game project. Using GIT I have also a full backup of each change I have done. I don't trust that programs can do that, and besides they won't do it the same way.

The motivation to push changes to GIT comes also from the progress you want to show to your team members, so you will do it quite often without apparent reason.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I suggest saving 4 times an hour and with an ever increasing number on the back.

Test_1, Test_2, ...

Also don't forget doing daily backups to at least 2 independent external HD's (if it's really important stuff).

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)

Well, all backup tips don't take away anything of the fact that this really should not be possible.

Also, if I read the problem correctly, you can't even know for sure whether your save is indeed a correct save, sometimes saving only half a sbx file.

My advice would be to use a proven stable version, and consider the last version only for doing beta testing.

desktop: Quad core Q6600 + 4GB + ATI HD4890 + XP

laptop: Dual core T6400 + 4 GB + NVidia 9600M GT + Vista 32

I tried to use 2.32 but the map crashes instantly as soon as I try to paint/sculpt terrain without error.

Never experienced this issue before and all worked well with switching level files via different versions.

The main problem with the bug I'm facing is as soon as I hit save it seems to save something. When I clode the program it asks me to save again. If I press "yes" it starts to save but crashes then...

This is what the .log tells me if i try to paint in v2.32:

Warning: Uniform "flattenheight" does not exist in shader.
Warning: Uniform "heightmapsize" does not exist in shader.
Warning: Uniform "imagesize" does not exist in shader.
Warning: Uniform "channelmask" does not exist in shader.

Sorry to hear about your continued problems in this area Michael. It does sound like you are having a particularly bad time of this as I've not experienced problems like this. But no doubt you are pushing the vegetation system and possibly others well beyond the boundaries I previously have and the size of the sbx files too.

However, so long as feature requests like the one for the Undo facility are ignored, I will continue to have major concerns about the validity of using this engine for my game project. I picked up on the fact that some people seemed surprised by previous comments I've made regarding my worries about future fixes being timely and not hitting major delays should I hit problems with the engine. This only serves to act as an example of what I meant by that. I know Josh is a very busy person and I have nothing but respect for what he's achieved so far but I still lack confidence in this support aspect of the product! The Undo request has been ignored for 6 months … that is simply not acceptable!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to read about all the problems you are having Michael.

IMO the missing of an undo/redo function in an editor/design tool is a major flaw and is something that has to be

added asap.

We are all human and humans make mistakes so we need a tool to help us overcome our human flaws :rolleyes:

Atm I forcing my self to safe before allmost everything I do in the editor and thats not realy practical. And since I can forget to safe its not realy a solution to the problem.

"Take me to your leader than I'll tell you if I come in peace"

Sick Since