Updater for distributed game

smishra

We are doing a limited internal release of a Leadwerks 2.4 based application. The first version is out and was a download of about 450MB in the form of a compressed zip file of the entire folder of assets and the application executable.

Of course we have made changes and want to distribute an updated copy of the application. What is the best way to do this in a more or less fool proof way? Ideally we would like to make frequent changes in response to their requests. The users are all over the country.

•  
  • The most fool proof way would be to make another 450MB upload of the latest and have the users download them. However this becomes cumbersome when we have frequent updates.
  • Another way would be to use a software like rsync. We could set up a password protected folder on a server and have them sync up their local copies to the copy we put online. In this case the software updater would be a generic client. Updates from the client would be forbidden on the server. We would also want to avoid overwriting any local custom files they would have on their local server. However we would want local application files that are no longer needed to be deleted.

Any other ideas?

Dropbox might be a solution but it is not as complex as you might want it to be. You can share your online folder to certain people via a link. You can set it so, that only you can add stuff to the folder. When you have scripts, models or executables that need to be updated, just place them in the dropbox folder. The files are uploaded to the online map and users only have to enable the dropbox program for syncing.

Thanks.

I will look at dropbox.

Lumooja, I was also thinking of subversion.

Any pros and cons of subversion versus git. In contrast to normal code sync issues the files are mostly binary and often quite large.

Since my clients are already familiar with subversion, I am going to set up a subversion repository and have the clients use Tortoise SVN.

Subversion is obsolete, slow and doesn't handle branching very well. Git is the next generation of SVN, it's super fast, makes much smaller repositories, and branching makes sense.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■