what do you want see in leadwerks 3.0

dreamhead

Heh, can you believe I am a C++ coder now?

I believe it. Some people might say programming languages are all basically the same, but really C++ gives you lower access than most other languages. You can do some pretty funky things with it. I think you'll be more effective with C++.

Some people might say programming languages are all basically the same

:) a lot of people don't know what they say! Many languages offer similar features but, generally speaking, programming languages have different targets, and oriented to solve a specific domain of problems.

Ok, some people "love" some languages and "hate" other ones, but no one can say that application domain for "C" (or C++) is the same of python, ADA, Lisp/Scheme, assembler, PHP, etc... (I did not mention C# and Java just to avoid a flame :P )

I investigated a custom skin and some stuff, and actually came to the conclusion that the default Windows/Mac GUI is the best, because everyone immediately knows how to use it.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I investigated a custom skin and some stuff, and actually came to the conclusion that the default Windows/Mac GUI is the best, because everyone immediately knows how to use it.

I like the way Zbrush, Modo, Blender 2.5, Corel Painter, Blade3d and Scultpris looks and functions. If you could combine all that data into one super UI it would good. :)

But seriously look at Modo and Sculptris.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

I believe that a lot of features mentioned above are good ideas, but most important is to keep it simple. For small developers is a very important development speed. Usually we create small innovative games, and most of predefined features will not help us a lot. I have the licenses of many engines that have all of these properties already developed, but problems arise with innovation, source code of those engines are difficult to change and takes a lot of time to implement new things. Productivity falls and a lot of teams dropping their projects because of financial problems.

C + + is great lenguage I am C + + programmer but in the indie world, and even some of AAA production studios often increase the use of language such as Python because it increases productivity because it simply shortens the development and up to 400 percent . Some off Us Are not good artists but in other hand some of us are not good C++ programmer . Just make it simple :)

C + + is great lenguage I am C + + programmer but in the indie world, and even some of AAA production studios often increase the use of language such as Python because it increases productivity because it simply shortens the development and up to 400 percent .

Ok, I know you're new here, but that's not a good way to get friends with Lumooja.

I personally want to see more 3rd party libraries implemented. Josh had mentioned that it wouldn't be too dificult for him to raise the capital to hire people. I would rather that capital be spent on implementing better 3rd party libraries.

1 - Umbra

2 - Scaleform

3 - Purelight (included with the license. Perhaps a special deal could be made with Purelight Tech)

4 - RakNet

Why do you need any of those implemented into the engine?!?! Why can't you just include them in your game code?!?! That's one of my big problems with this engine. Things that are packed into the engine like Lua and Newton should be separate and included by the user. This allows for the engine creator to focus on what he/she does best, which would be the graphics in this case, and would allow for other people do what they do best. I would like to see the engine do terrain carving and switch to using voxels for rendering terrain. I don't really care about Anti aliasing because I think that can be done by the user and I remember hearing that when using deferred rendering anti aliasing doesn't yield great visual results. Cascade shadows is essential in this engine when working with terrain.

Intel 2nd Generation i5 Quad Core Running at 3.30GHz. 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 460 1024MB DDR5.

Oh yes, I agree 100% with darrenc182. All standard libraries should be just drag&drop to the game, and not hardcoded as some stone old version into the engine. Leadwerks Engine should only do what no other library does, and be seamlessly integratable with any industrial standard libraries.

I like that Purelight is an optional add-on, since I wouldn't use it because it's not realtime, but also Newton should be optional, since real game developers want some better physics engines also, like Bullet/PhysX/Havok, as each have their own benefits for certain purposes.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I would like to see the engine do terrain carving and switch to using voxels for rendering terrain.

Voxel terrain is all a unique mesh. Technically, the engine can do that right now, because you can model a voxel-based mesh in 3ds max or something and render it in the engine. The result is the same.

Using voxel terrain for the whole terrain is a bad idea for the reason above. I don't think you realize how fast the current terrain rendering system is. You can have a terrain up to 33 million triangles. This would never be possible with a purely voxel-based system of unique geometry.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The whole idea of voxels is the simple mathematics to cull non visible entities, and the simple mathematics to calculate raytracing where the smallest unit is one voxel. There are no textures or shadowmaps, it's all just vertex colors, actually even just face colors. Josh is aware of this, and we will see some meaningful applications for voxels where it makes sense.

When people describe voxel terrain, what they usually mean is a modeling technique that creates a bunch of cubes, and then uses the marching cubes algorithm to turn that into polygonal geometry.

It is possible to render pure voxel data, but for practical use it would require special hardware that hasn't been invented yet.

Oh yes, I agree 100% with darrenc182. All standard libraries should be just drag&drop to the game, and not hardcoded as some stone old version into the engine. Leadwerks Engine should only do what no other library does, and be seamlessly integratable with any industrial standard libraries.

I like that Purelight is an optional add-on, since I wouldn't use it because it's not realtime, but also Newton should be optional, since real game developers want some better physics engines also, like Bullet/PhysX/Havok, as each have their own benefits for certain purposes.

Yes! While I would like to see a couple of libraries added to the engine, I don't want to pay for what I have no use for. I also don't want Josh to be distracted with this kind of work and fall behind in the race for better graphics.

The only thing Josh would need to decide if he chooses to go that way, is how it should be done. Should he hire people to write and maintain these plugins, or allow a community of plugin providers to spring up around LWs? If it was a community, then people would have to compete for customers and the standard (in theory) should be high.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz

GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

4 GB RAM

I was dragging these physics walls in my scene to block the player from going further. It is a quite a pain to see how they are placed. They are purely phy files and I need to turn on physics to see them, unfortunately everything in the scene shows their physics shape and the scene becomes complicated to edit.

It would be usefull for 3.0 to link certain volumes (like physics volumes) to a keyboard short cut to toggle on and of the view of these volumes.

River nodes of course, but that's already planned.

I agree with darren, only Physics are an essential part of a game engine in my opinion (which is what Leadwerks is, now isn't it?). Besides, you cannot do anti-aliasing by yourself, else I would've done it long ago.

The more I think about it, the more I tend to an engine which can do huge numbers of everything.

When it comes to a game idea, the most often occuring problem of any engine is that it can't handle enough entities, or far enough distances.

Using double type for everything would solve the problem on the CPU side, and for the GPU side OpenGL 3 would be needed to support double.

Minecraft is a good example of a game which is simple, but needs a lot of entities.

If you wanted to do that with LE and physics, I don't think you could, since it lacks occlusion culling.

But with LE3 it might actually work.

I would like to see more control over sound entities (including out of the box parent functions, sound duration, utils, etc) and emitters/particles. For instance: I'd like to set individual particle color without having to create multiple emitters.