Texturing

f13rce

Hey guys :)

I'm working on this weapon since a few days ago, and it's ready now for texturing.

--

I'm currently working in 3DS Max and could UVW Unwrap it, and only found box mapping a bit useful.

But I don't have much skill in drawing etc, so I wonder how you guys make some (nice) textures for your models.

I do know CGTextures.com, but it didn't really help me out.

If you know an other program just to texture it, please tell. I'll look into it.

--

So here's my viewmodel of the AK47 (arms are from an other model, which was already textured):

AK47FPSViewLE.png

And here's the UV which came out of 3DS Max:

AK47UVLE.png

So the question: How do you texture your model?

--

Ivar / Evayr

PS: Feedback about the model is also welcome

Using Leadwerks Professional Edition (Beta), mainly using C++.

Windows 10 / Linux Mint, Visual Studio 2017. GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX970, CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.20 GHz

Previously known as Evayr.

Nice model you have there, but the texture space is not used very well. UV mapping with 3DSMax is a painfull task (apart from box and planar mapping :))...

I got myself a copy of 3DCoat and it is awsome! The automatic UV mapping in 3DCoat uses the texture space much more efficient than box mapping ever will.

After importing the model you can simply draw any texture you like directly on the mesh. The toolset for painting covers pretty much everything Photoshop does. On top of that you can load any mesh as a voxel object and export the altered

voxel model as a normalmap for the mesh you imported. Exports all kinds of texture and normalmaps, too.

All you need besides 3dsmax and 3dcoat is LE and you have your graphics pipeline ready.

PS: What's the polycount of your gun? I guess around 2000?

Edited by DaDonik

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)

Thanks for the reply DaDonik :)

I've downloaded 3DCoat and I'm experimenting now... Looks like a fun program to work with.

I'll post some result after playing around with it ;)

PS: What's the polycount of your gun? I guess around 2000?

I wish.. it's 4.5k though. But for a viewmodel it isn't that bad :)

- Ivar / Evayr

Windows 10 / Linux Mint, Visual Studio 2017. GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX970, CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.20 GHz

Very nice Evary :)

As DaDonik said try and max out the texture space of the UV map.

I use Cinema 4D R11 for all my models and textures (comes with BodyPaint). I can paint straight onto the model / i add the UV map as a seperate layer to use as a template , and then paint the parts by hand with a base color first , then i add detail (scratches / dirt etc..) as seperate layers.

Then i flatten all layers when im happy , and save the texture out.

Hope this helps ;)

Thanks

Gimpy73 :)

One word... THANKS!!!!

I could use this SO BAD!

Exactly where I was looking for :D

Thanks again!

- Ivar / Evayr

I'm no expert. And I doubt you'll find a tutorial on this method.

But I'm researching Genetica/Blender/3dCoat worlkflow. It's really nice, but expensive. It will cost you about $700. Though I bought Genetica when it was 50% off. :D

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

"3dCoat uses p-tex which is not very usable if you want to paint your model in a 2d program."

it is 1 auto-UV option, of 2...you don't have to leave it as ptex, you can use the programs other

options to UV-map your object as you would in other software (placing seams, and choosing the unwrap

style that best fits: ABF LSCM, Planar). The other auto-UV option is the developer's own, and was meant to

be a quick way to import an object and get to painting fast---by no means is it as optimal as creating your own

UV layout within the program.

Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit | Q6600 2.40 GHZ | 8GB RAM | 320MB Nvidia 8800GTS

• 9 months later...

Hi..

Texturing of models is not difficult, but needs to know how to do it. Texture quality is also important. Uv, ears are in proportion, too, otherwise there is a problem when mip mapping. This is the UV map for my model M24.

post-779-0-63423400-1312675149_thumb.jpg

post-779-0-27647600-1312675166_thumb.jpg