Josh

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which is best?

• Bullet
    • Havok
    • Newton
    • PhysX
    • Other

Actually a link to information regarding any for or against argument for any of the engines would be helpful to make an informed decision.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

I think you probably have to pay big licensing fees on consoles and mobile devices, but I will look into it further.

I don't think Newton's development is going anywhere. I do like that bullet has motorized joints built in, and displays joints visually in a creative way. Not sure how Bullet stacks up against PhysX.

Assuming there are no iOS/Android licensing issues, and considering that open source is either neutral or a negative to me, why would anyone choose Bullet over PhysX?

It really depends on where you want Leadwerks to go. I personally prefer PhysX over Bullet in most cases. My issue would be the licensing. Even if the licenses for PhysX on iOS and Android are free (and I tend to think they are, seeing as the UDK uses PhysX and has an iOS release) for use, they certainly are not free for the Xbox 360 or PS3. On the consoles, it's my understanding that the licensing fee is fairly steep and per title. Anyone using the engine for consoles would have to pay that fee. In addition, as a middle ware developer, you also have to pay a fee for usage and redistribution which is several times the cost of a game title usage license.

Is it a concern right now? Probably not. Especially if you intend to be able to swap out the physics system trivially.

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Let's make things happen.

I talked to someone from nvidia and they approved my account for the mobile versions. I guess physx 3.0 is coming out next week, and I am getting that too.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I will say that sometimes it's best to do what other people aren't. Torque and unity both use physx. If I use bullet, everyone who prefers bullet for whatever reason will come to me. If I use physx I'll just be offering the same thing those guys do.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Yes, most people prefer to pay once for a engine and then never again (except for some major upgrade, which is also a one time fee then). Annual and royalty fees per title are the most annoying things which everyone wants to avoid. You can't have everything for free, and people accept it to pay for their main tool. Interestingly Linux users are the most willing people to pay, as statistics have shown. But it's kinda logical, since they have more money left since their OS and other tools were free :)

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Interestingly Linux users are the most willing people to pay, as statistics have shown. But it's kinda logical, since they have more money left since their OS and other tools were free :)

What stats?

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

What stats?

For example the humblebundle stats. At the moment the total Windows users have paid more, but in earlier sales the Linux users won. However the per title sales is still lead by Linux users:

Total payments:

173,255 Number of purchases

$5.03 Average purchase

$4.01 Average Windows

$6.43 Average Mac

$11.69 Average Linux

As I thought .. "Mika stats".

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Which did they implement most recently?

I believe bullet was first, physx was added due to problems with bullet’s threaded solver or something like that, way over my head :) .

Now you just choose which you want and compile.

My first Adobe purchase was Photoshop 2.0, CS6 was my last! < = >

As I thought: Marley jealousy :)

wow thats like being jealous of Sarah Palins Nobel prize for advance theoretical particle physics .. oh wait..

The trouble is Mika its clear which You prefer but how are others to make an objective and informed decision when they first have to wade through your disingenuous agenda driven personal opinion being passed off by you as fact?

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

875000 dollar sounds like a reliable source to me. And I've always said that objective opinions are completely useless, since they don't tell you which one is the best. Subjective opinions actually help people to make the right decisions.

It's a consistent decision for Torque, as they always make the wrong decisions. Just look what happened with Torque3D, it was a complete failure. So Bullet was indeed better, as it's made faster and faster all the time, and PhysX is stagnating and perhaps also getting slower.

The fact torque switched physics is a giant red flag to me.

I'm not sure that information is correct. I've been a Torque Game Engine license holder since roughly 2002/2003. I've recently purchased Torque 3D and I was given a TGEA license along with that. TGE has never used Bullet physics, nor has Torque 3D. Now it's possible TGEA at one point supported Bullet, but I can find no references to it on the forums or via Google. The only thing related I could find is a resource on adding Bullet physics and removing PhysX support for TGE, TGEA and Torque 3D.

@Knocks, I'd really like to know where you found your info. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I couldn't find any info on it. I'm actually working on porting Torque 3D to Bullet, so if there was a problem, I'd reaaaaallly like to find out about it sooner rather than later.

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Let's make things happen.

I voted for physx, beacause I have used it for a physics based behavior controll project, that simulates a 3 DOF robot in near future in a field containing 10 foreign controlled robots and a passive body, many times ( 10000 simulations, each lasts about 10 seconds in simulation world time! ).

Back then I test it on both LE2's Newton and physx. Physx was about 2.5 times faster! By the way the GPU implementation is really nice, since some physics calculations are really parallel processing ready!

EDIT: you can read more about the simulation here.

Ali Salehi | Programmer

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.0GHz | GeForce GTS 450 | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

LE 2.50 | Visual Studio 2010 | RenderMonkey 1.82 | gDEBugger 5.8 | FX Composer 2.5 | UU3D 3 | xNormal 3.17

76561198023085627.png

and PhysX is stagnating and perhaps also getting slower.

Based on what? Personal preference, and 'stats,' should remain out of this discussion. It's why I'm pasting quotes from other sites (mostly the PhysX website/dev website or Wiki), not my personal opinions, or self-made facts.

It seems it's between Bullet and PhysX, which is great. I don't mind either but I would never sit here and bash one with false information because I prefer the other.