Plug in for Poser or animation feature ?

Koan

Hello,

I have tried several softwares to create animated models and it can be a real pain for people who are not in model design. What I would like would be a plugin or a feature that would be as easy to use as the Poser animation features. You see : just create it, export to gmf and it is done.

Hardly a "plugin" is it.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Plugin .. feature? sounds more like Poser for LE a whole new animation application. :lol:

and FBX is easily convtered to gmf.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Plugin .. feature? sounds more like Poser for LE a whole new animation application. :lol:

and FBX is easily convtered to gmf.

Then LE3 will not be that great thing that I though it would be.

Whats the idea of having LE3 (LE3 editor) automatically updating changed files in runtime (as discussed by Josh)

if it cant handle FBX files directly. Then it wont be that "Edit and save in you modeler program and watch it in the LE3 scene.

I though this was one of the major improvements in LE3. But I may have misunderstood that. Hopefully not, as that would not

be to great in the competition of other engines.

Support of automated runtime update of FBX in the editor must be there in LE3, at least as I see it, not just textures.

I also think that FBX format is quite enough as its supported by most modeler programs out there.

Having to manually do conversion ala MakeDDS and FBX2GMF or go through UU3D is something that really don't want to see in LE3.

AV MX Linux

I never said anything about whether or not LE3 will or wont convert FBX, the FBX is easily convtered to gmf comment was directed at your statement, Poser models can be exported to FBX. :lol:

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

I never said anything about whether or not LE3 will or wont convert FBX, the FBX is easily convtered to gmf comment was directed at your statement, Poser models can be exported to FBX. ;)

Aha :lol: Sorry! My misunderstanding. I thought you was opposing the auto-convert feature in a coming LE3.

So then I agree :) However it felt good to pinpoint how very important I think a better art->editor pipeline is.

AV MX Linux

I dont comment on the "art->editor" pipeline as I have no issues with it, seems pretty straight forward to me.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

I understand. Well, the first thing is the "WISIWYG" scene editor. I have never seen something easier to use in softwares like Poser. It is easy and fast.

Second thing : the walking simulator.

Imagine now you could export the animations you have made directly to gmf. You would not have to export your animated models and then use another software to create new animations. I think that is waste of time and some poeple may not be skilled enough at modeling with Maya or 3D studio. Poser can export to RIB, quickdraw 3DMF, 3ds, DXF, BVH... so you can export directly animations. So Maybe the FBX format, or BVH could be usefull too ?

You should have a look at bvhacker. I think it a good software.

http://davedub.co.uk/bvhacker/

I understand. Well, the first thing is the "WISIWYG" scene editor. I have never seen something easier to use in softwares like Poser. It is easy and fast.

Imagine now you could export the animations you have made directly to gmf. You would not have to export your animated models and then use another software to create new animations. I think that is waste of time and some poeple may not be skilled enough at modeling with Maya or 3D studio. Poser can export to RIB, quickdraw 3DMF, 3ds, DXF, BVH... so you can export directly animations. So Maybe the FBX format, or BVH could be usefull too ?

Are you asking for a modeling and animation program made by Leadwerks that integrates into the engine better?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I see ... so all Josh has to do then is write a software package to rival poser and its "plugins", to include a BVHacker type functionality which then exports it all ready for use in LE ... and then integrate that into LE ..

I see ... "plugin" lol

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Well, what would be possible with the FBX and BVH format ?

Could we imagine use them to get gmf animated models ? Maybe if you have a look at bvhacker you would guess what I mean ?

Lol. Yes The first thing that I imagined was a simple plugin or a feature. But maybe are there other solution ?

Are you asking for a modeling and animation program made by Leadwerks that integrates into the engine better?

Yes, something like that. Obviously, I thought of a plugin (whish might be the easiest way to do it ?)

I'm not trying to be rude, but at some point you're going to need some experience with a real modelling application to get anything done, in any engine. What you want to do is fairly trivial in a traditional modelling App such as Maya or (on the free end) Blender. You can bake your BVH animations and export your model as an FBX file. From there you can convert it directly with fbxtogmf, or use UU3D. But you are going to have to learn a modelling app, at least some of it anyway.

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Let's make things happen.

Yes, I use Blender. But some might want to save time rather than use another software to get animations. So I wondered if there wasn't an easier way to do the work.

Where can I download fbxtogmf ? I think it might be easier if LE could import bvh and FBX files.

Poser Pro 2010 allows full import and export of COLLADA files. So if this is your animation tool of choice then tools exist to convert collada file formats to gmf. Job done! You can hardly expect Josh to write an entire Poser clone so he can make animation simpler for you. I don't know anyone who has tried the conversion yet but in theory it should be straight forward so long as Poser exports a valid COLLADA file.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Yes, something like that. Obviously, I thought of a plugin (whish might be the easiest way to do it ?)

You are requesting two contradictory things at once. Are you asking for a Leadwerks modeling and animation program, or an export plugin for an existing program?

Or are you just saying you feel overwhelmed by the array of existing modeling programs, and want some solution to making animated characters?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

You are requesting two contradictory things at once. Are you asking for a Leadwerks modeling and animation program, or an export plugin for an existing program?

Or are you just saying you feel overwhelmed by the array of existing modeling programs, and want some solution to making animated characters?

Actually, as written, I have imagined to different way to proceed : the first might be a plugin for Poser. The second might be a feature (or program) that would rather be made for animation than modeling. I am not sure whish one would be the best. Maybe the first would be the easiest. The second might be a program like 3D world studio ?

I always thought the poly count for exported poser models was far to high for game use as they stand. Maybe that's changed recently I don't know.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I always thought the poly count for exported poser models was far to high for game use as they stand. Maybe that's changed recently I don't know.

I'm not sure if thats true or not (I've never used Poser), however if it is, there are apps like Decimator and such that can greatly lower polycount very quickly. They don't necessarily do an optimal job, but they don't require any skill to use either.

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Let's make things happen.

That's true but then the pipeline becomes more involved which seems to be what Koan is trying to avoid.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a long winded way is that although the initial gains in using something like Poser appear to the novice to be great there is always a price to pay for this. Although initially you appear to get a lot, for little to no investment of your effort, in time I suspect you'll find yourself held back by the the lack of professional features.

If you are serious about having good animated models in your games then you are either going to have to team up with a good animator/modeller or learn the basics yourself using a good modelling/animation app or apps.

Brent previously summed it up:

I'm not trying to be rude, but at some point you're going to need some experience with a real modelling application to get anything done, in any engine. What you want to do is fairly trivial in a traditional modelling App such as Maya or (on the free end) Blender. You can bake your BVH animations and export your model as an FBX file. From there you can convert it directly with fbxtogmf, or use UU3D. But you are going to have to learn a modelling app, at least some of it anyway.