Relay

Josh

So say I have a door. I want it to open when someone goes near it. So I create code to open the door, and then use blocks to say: if "player" near door run dooropen.lua?

I would create a brush, set it as a trigger field, then connect the brush to the door.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

....interesting as i have all this done in LE2..so as I said many times before, I just hope LE3.x will not be structured in such way that forcing user to use provided systems, but instead, keep wide open for anything, as LE2.x is..

Right but your system is not compatible with anyone else's code. This will give us all a standard framework for script interactions so all our script objects will play nice together, and it will be zero overhead if you don't use it.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think you will find Leadwerks3D to be a lot easier to port. You can probably comment out systems you don't want, or just leave them there and they will take no resources. Everything is pure C++, with no commercial third-party libs, and no **** like Boost built into it. The engine, including all libraries, is about 200,000 lines of code.

• Upvote 3

I think you will find Leadwerks3D to be a lot easier to port. You can probably comment out systems you don't want, or just leave them there and they will take no resources. Everything is pure C++, with no commercial third-party libs, and no **** like Boost built into it. The engine, including all libraries, is about 200,000 lines of code.

Calling Boost ****, shame yourself! Boost developers are mostly active in the C++ ISO committee and create great libraries which eventually may end up in the standard. Best examples are the new C++11 smart pointers and hash containers. I agree with the fact that you don't want to use Boost, it's pretty cumbersome do yet it deployed, but calling it **** crosses the line.

Calling Boost ****, shame yourself! Boost developers are mostly active in the C++ ISO committee and create great libraries which eventually may end up in the standard. Best examples are the new C++11 smart pointers and hash containers. I agree with the fact that you don't want to use Boost, it's pretty cumbersome do yet it deployed, but calling it **** crosses the line.

I call it **** because it's a lot of code that may not compile/work on every platform we deploy to. Therefore, it is something to be avoided.

Let me put it this way: When I use a third party library, I have code I did not write. That means it's out of my control to fix or even understand. I try to minimize the amount of code I didn't write that I use:

zlib

enet

freetype

lua

glew

recast

newton

tolua++

openal

The only time I ever needed Boost was when I tried using LuaBind, and ToLua++ turned out to be much better. It was a relief to delete the Boost folder.

Not that you probably care but I couldn't agree more with what Josh is saying. In my opinion he's absolutely right.

At my work we also try to minimize the amount of third party code and that has been a winner.

There are often occasions when you have to pick up code from 3-4 years ago and make changes

or additions. In those situations there has always been trouble with third party code, Yes! even with Boost.

Boost contains many exiting features but nothing that can't be done using standard C++ and standard STL

with some extra work yes.. but then you have the control of the code. Many of you will probably not agree, but

that's what I have found out during my 30 years of programming. Don't use to fancy stuff, keep it simple and

easy to understand and finally make it easy to correct your own mistakes without searching for others.

AV MX Linux