LE3 Platforms Poll

Josh

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which platform are you looking forward to the most?

• Windows
    • OSX
    • Linux
    • iOS (iPhone & iPad)
    • Android
    • Other
  2. 2. Which mobile platform are you most interested in?

• iOS
    • Android
  3. 3. Which machines are you most interested in developing for?

• High-end graphics (GEForce 8800+)
    • Basic graphics

I'm shocked that Symbian is that high.

From 2010, Symbian switched to using standard C++ with Qt as the SDK, which can be used with either Qt Creator or Carbide

Symbian devices can also be programmed using Python, Java ME, Flash Lite, Ruby, .NET, Web Runtime (WRT) Widgets and Standard C/C++

That's interesting. I might have to check this platform out.

I don't care as I'm sure I wouldn't code for it but why was Symbian/Nokia not included? It had almost twice the sales of Apple 2010 Q4.

Symbian is a dying platform. Shareholders have demanded that Nokia keeps supporting Symbian until WP7 is fully working on their phones. The history doesn't matter, but we have to look how the future will be, else we work for the wrong thing which we know to be obsolete.

WP7 will have a increasing market share, and it's up to the developers and users how popular it will be. So you should not support WP7 if you don't want it to compromise Android's future market share. The market is not doing things itself, but it's the people's behaviour which does it.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Yeah that trend is exactly how I see things going. Android is growing a lot, Symbian keeps growing but at slower pace until it starts to shrink rapidly, camp jumpers from Nokia have joined the also sinking boat of Apple, and WP7 has not really started to grow yet, if it ever will, depends on the camp jumpers.

So you should not support WP7 if you don't want it to compromise Android's future market share.

lol, nice

As a developer all I care about is power and ease of use to develop for. With those 2 factors it'll draw more developers which will mean more applications which will mean more people will use it because it has more functionality in all the apps. This is really a "crappy" time we live in because it's the start of the mobile wars. This puts more pressure on developers to support so many more platforms which is a pain for us because it adds more development time and money. My predication is once things calm down it'll look similar to the PC world. MS will be on top followed by linux and mac. It'll be that way because MS will leverage so much integration between their phones and their OS and since most people have Windows PC's it'll just be easier for them to get the MS phone too.

Apple is to picky about what gets on their platforms, Google is just to free and unorganized, and MS sits right in the middle of those 2.

So I agree with the few others that WP7 should be included in the list, however I get the impression Josh doesn't want to support them because WP7 uses either XNA or Silverlight which both run on the .NET framework. :/

A WP7 product would have to be totally recoded in C#, including all the libraries I depend on for physics, networking, script, etc. So it would be a totally separate product,

Symbian is abandoned. I am not even sure if it does 3D at all. If another platform were added, my money would be on WebOS.

This is really a "crappy" time we live in because it's the start of the mobile wars. This puts more pressure on developers to support so many more platforms which is a pain for us because it adds more development time and money.

Not only that, but everyone wants to "differentiate" themselves so developers can't make the same app run on every platform. iOS has Objective C, and Android has Java.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think iOS was the hardest platform so far to implement, due to the Objective-C nonsense, but ongoing support demands will be relatively low.

The Android implementation should be easier, if they are finally doing away with the Java nonsense, but ongoing support will be more demanding. So I intend to make the sales on iOS first so I can afford the support demands of Android.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Yeah Android should use Fortran (actually one guy got Fortran already running on Android, and he got like 25MFLOPS perfspec, which beats any phone today: most have like 7-8MFLOPS), and not Java or C++. However, the Java in Android is fortunately not the real slow and bloated and buggy Java from Oracle, but it's Dalvik, which is a binary compiled Java, so it's not too bad. And meanwhile the Android NDK is offering more and more C++ access with each update, so soon you don't even need Dalvik at all.

Oh dear, Apple's tech isn't doing particularly well in any of the questions. Maybe new customers will change the opinions, but the current user base doesn't seem to share your desire for the Mac, Josh...

I mean take the first question. Linux is doing better than both of the Apple options combined.

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

Don't forget that Android is also Linux, so you can sum Linux+Android votes. Yes, I have also Android for PC in my deca-boot :)

And vice versa: You can run Debian on an Android phone too (phone calls still work!).

Oh dear, Apple's tech isn't doing particularly well in any of the questions. Maybe new customers will change the opinions, but the current user base doesn't seem to share your desire for the Mac, Josh...

I mean take the first question. Linux is doing better than both of the Apple options combined.

Probably because you can get a lot more powerful computer for less than 40% of the cost of a Mac. It's great to have Mac support, but I wouldn't count on it being even close to Windows. I would rather develop on a Linux than Mac.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It'd be awesome if there was a web browser option as well as whatever other platforms. Maybe a build out for social sites too. I was wondering though. XNA can use C# and XNA is an XBox Live thing. Leadwerks can use C#. Why have we never considered targetting the XBox Live market, too? Or is it more complicated than that?

Developers, developers, developers, developers.

It's down to the Open GL renderer that Leadwerks Engine uses. I wouldn't want to say it's impossible to make Open GL work on a 360, but Microsoft certainly make it as difficult as possible to do so, and it just isn't worth the effort considering the video card it has built in is so old... I think it's equivalent to a GeForce FX (the one between 4 and 6).

Big studios probably have to heavily optimise to get decent performance on it. Whilst we indies should also optimise, we shouldn't be putting in as much effort as they do, because we don't have such large teams at our disposal.

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

Besides you will probably make more $$$ with mobile then Xbox Live, and it will be much easier.

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

You won't regret buying Leadwerks. I'm not even a good coder and I still like it, if you have any experence with game programming Leadwerks will be the best think since sliced cheese. Sure Xbox Live would be great, but you will have more fun developing for PC and mobile. Ok maybe not iOS but thats Apple's fault biggrin.png

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

haha Yeah. I've had my eye on this program for quite some time now. I've been using Unity for a long while programming in C#. So I've got a tad of experience. =P And yes....darn you Apple. haha

Developers, developers, developers, developers.

Okay., That makes perfect sense. My mind is at ease for that one. haha

Still, browser based build outs would be nice. =D

We're working on it!

I know! And you guys are doing great! =D Really looking forward to LE3. It'll probably be released by the time I'm able to buy LE2. haha

We want people to start using Leadwerks now, so if you buy LE2 and upgrade to L3D, it's cheaper overall then waiting for L3D.