Frosted glass shader?

Michael Betke

Hey guys!

I have a project running where I need to visualize a big building. There is a lot of glass plus so called "opalin" window parts.

It's frosted glass with a green shine.

Leadwerks would offer some superiour asset handling here because we have to equip a whole hotel with 7 stories full of furniture.

I wonder if frosted glass is possible in some ways in real-time.

It just have to look nice and doesn't need a full interaction or scattering. I thought about baking the final look to a texture but havn't tried...

frosted-glass-interior-design-yafaray-03.jpg

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

The refraction shader can do that. It's slightly more complex to implement a blur in the shader, but not that bad.

It would not handle multiple layers of transparency, though. Just the topmost layer would be fuzzy, so if you had three panes like that, they would not get progressively more fuzzy with each layer.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

This isn't neccesary because its just one element of glass. Never have seen a frosted glass shader in real-time until now. Not even the the two arch-viz tools for real-time feautre it at the moment but it's used a lot.

It's a good option to know LE can do it with minor effeort so I can get in touch with you or another shader coder if client made its decision and tell us whats needed.

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

The refraction shader can do that. It's slightly more complex to implement a blur in the shader, but not that bad.

It would not handle multiple layers of transparency, though. Just the topmost layer would be fuzzy, so if you had three panes like that, they would not get progressively more fuzzy with each layer.

Is this the same reason the heat refraction messes with water?

How do other games get around the problem?

Intel Core i7 975 @ 3.33GHz, 6GB ram, GTX 560 Super OC, Windows 7 Pro 64bit