Materials without textures

Canardia

I have some models which don't have textures, but only materials with diffuse+specular+transparency+ambient+emissive+shininess colors.

They look fine in UU3D, but in Editor they are just plain white.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

LE already supports this and it has always worked just fine for me. i convert a texture/material to vertex colors in uu3d, delete the texture/material reference, then export to gmf with export vertex colors option selected. the sword i used in this example is setup with no texture/material and only uses vertex coloring: http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/3460-equipment-attaching/page__view__findpost__p__31610

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

The materials in UU3D are defining the vertex color, and its specular and opacity.

So I can't delete the materials in UU3D, because then it gets completely white again.

huh? can you have specular effect in LE without a texture considering the specular is set from a normal map's alpha channel?

and vertex color can be set from converting the material to the vertex itself... i think the option is under 3D Tools... don't have access to LE/UU3D for a week so dont remember offhand exactly where it is...

macklebee's channel

Yeah, you can have diffuse+specular+transparency and lots of other things without textures, and many formats, like lwo support that and UU3D can load and display it correctly too:

post-2-0-81099500-1311201272_thumb.png

Now I found the option in UU3D to convert all materials to vertex colors, and it doesn't look too bad in LE. I still need to move the windows to the foreground world so they are transparent:

post-2-0-97257600-1311201257_thumb.png

Ah, cool, when I add a simple 1x1 specular texture, it looks even better in LE:

post-2-0-10879700-1311203167_thumb.png

And with posteffects, like SSAO and FSAA it looks damn good for a model without any textures <_<

post-2-0-35538400-1311203789_thumb.png

Yeah, you can have diffuse+specular+transparency and lots of other things without textures, and many formats, like lwo support that and UU3D can load and display it correctly too:

I wasn't referring to uu3d but LE... the material system between the two are not the same. like i implied above and as you just shown, you would have to use a texture to get the specular.

macklebee's channel

Yeah, but the original feature request was about having materials without textures to be supported in LE, I just didn't know how that technology was called <_<

It has its own benefits, as you can zoom is as much you want and never see pixelation, and you can scale the model as big you want and also have no pixelation.

And you use no texture memory on the GPU.

The only downside is that you need a bit more triangles for the model, but that doesn't matter as you can make lods with UU3D very easily.

And since many model formats and 3D editors support materials without textures, I think GMF and LE should support it too.

There are many free models done this way, so it would be much easier to import them.

lol... ok so thats completely different from saying that LE should support vertex coloring and you not knowing how to convert a material to vertex colors in uu3d... :P

i love how you always go back and edit your posts to make it sound like you knew what you were talking about... <_<

macklebee's channel