Mobile games

Josh

If you have the ability to produce simple mobile-type games in Lua with LE2, I am interested in porting these to LE3 as soon as possible. A Lua program in LE2 will work in LE3 with a minimal amount of changes, and will be the easiest to publish for both iOS and Android. If you're interested in this, post about your game on the forum and keep us updated.

There's no pressure, we're just developing our mobile strategy, and if this is something you are interested in I would like to work with you to get your games out.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I suppose the're wont be realtime shadows on Android in LE3?

LE1 had real-time projected shadows, basically a forerunner to shadow maps. They'll be that Half-Life 2 style of shadows.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Yes, that's easy to do. Remember, I am interested in Lua. It's a lot easier to publish than messing with Xcode/Visual Studio/Eclipse.

I would just make an LE2 game and then I will see about getting it to work with LE3, with different kinds of input. I think it will be easier if people start coming up with ideas now, rather than waiting until it's completely ready and then having a long delay before anyone has a game.

LE1 had real-time projected shadows, basically a forerunner to shadow maps. They'll be that Half-Life 2 style of shadows.

Those shadows were quite OK, except they didn't work on meshes, but only on brushes.

I don't know what options there are for low-end shadows, maybe scissor volume shadows, shadow volumes, shadow silhouette maps, voxel shadows?

How does Blitz3D do it in that demo video I posted some time ago?

I think all shadows which use meshes as shadows will work on low end, while texture based shadows will need high-end?

The shadows in Shiva3D are quite pixelated, but they work. I guess it's somekind of low-res texture shadow?

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

It can just be difficult because input on the mobile device is pretty different than on a PC. I guess we can make the inputs PC friendly to get something going knowing that we'll have to change it later for the mobile device.

So this will be Android too because I think you said you haven't started with Android yet and that's what I would personally want because I don't have an iPhone so I couldn't test it even after it's finished. Just want to make sure if I do a little game I can play it on the mobile platform that I currently have (Android Tablet which should be the same as the Android phone)

You just render the shadow caster to a color texture and draw all brushes it intersects, with the texture coordinates calculated from the shadow rendering position and angle. It's basically primitive forward shadow mapping, with no depth information.

Sounds good to me, it's actually not so bad if the shadow is pixelated or too sharp (as with hard scissor shadows), as long there is a shadow. The shadow alone makes things much more enjoyable, and it's also essential for some gameplay features, like mobs coming from behind a corner and you only see their shadow.

Heck, I could even live with a circle shaped sprite shadow, what some low-end games do also still today.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Hmmm, i played Doom3 with all shadows even the own, player shadow, enabled and it somewhat got boring having to switch the flashlight because my own shadow made me not see things. On the other hand deadSpace "doesnt" use shadows and many others aint too.

I would be more in need of "volume" fog and a good bunch of particle emitters

+ the knowledge if/how to get a steady framerate. Besides most released le2 games could be ported to lua as much as my little mini-game could be ported from lua to c, imho.

Let me think about the possibilities but basically i would. :(

AMD 64 X2 Dual 5k - 4GB - XFX GForce9800GT - nv196.21 - WinXP Sp3

zBrush4R2 - Silo2Pro - Unwrap3DPro - Gile - MaPZone2.5

adv_banner-april2012_720x150_tex01.png

Xxploration FPS in progress ...

That's not a bad idea, but I don't have time to devise a bunch of rules right now. This is more just me saying "This is something we want to try, and if you're interested I'll try to help your game be successful".

Hmmm, i played Doom3 with all shadows even the own, player shadow, enabled and it somewhat got boring having to switch the flashlight because my own shadow made me not see things. On the other hand deadSpace "doesnt" use shadows and many others aint too.

I would be more in need of "volume" fog and a good bunch of particle emitters

+ the knowledge if/how to get a steady framerate. Besides most released le2 games could be ported to lua as much as my little mini-game could be ported from lua to c, imho.

Let me think about the possibilities but basically i would. :(

id Tech 4(Doom 3 engine) I believe was one of the first engines to use real-time lighting, the technology has gone far since then. Leadwerks itself being an example.

Hmm, so if I get this straight, if I decide to use the assets I've been making to code the game in Leadwerks 2.43 in Lua, instead of Unity, I can submit the game to you when it is close to/finished, and you'll work with me/us to get it running on iPhone in whatever form Leadwerks 3.0 is at the time?

Assuming that is true, my two questions would be:

1) How soon, theoretically, could this be launched?

My goal is, I want to be submitting to the app store in November.

2) Can you make a list of the features in Leadwerks 2.43 that we should stay away from, that would make the port too difficult in a shorter timeframe and/or won't be available on iPhone?

I can't guarantee a date it will be ready by, so I would not make any commercial decisions based on this. I wanted to see how much interest there is in this sort of thing, and apparently there is a lot.

Some others 3D Indie engines already have mobile support and some others are planning mobile strategy also !

Mobile market will develop more and more as time passes with all tables and Apple products, even today the sales are lot more important in terms of mobile tablets than mobile PC, i've seen

on a analysis (i don't know if it is true ? but i think tablet sales are bigger each time )

Now this measn lot of optimisations like fake shadows options with textures projectors, blob shadows, lightmaps carefull on rendering passes, possibility to make a simple 3D game using

a simple directionnal light and no shaders. etc ...

I think there is lot of interest on putting a mobile section specially for Iphone and their Appstore.

Just my point of view : I think Iphone could only boost LeadWerks popularity, and it deserves it :)

Stop toying and make games

It's not an "optimization", it's backwards technology for obsolete hardware. :)

Ah well, at least I still get my hardware tessellation...

It's not an "optimization", it's backwards technology for obsolete hardware. :D

Ah well, at least I still get my hardware tessellation...

Well, one step forward, two steps back they say. :)

Regardless, a good game is a good game, advanced technology or not.

Thanks for the information on mobile, I certainly have interest, but I think without a timeline to go on it's hard to commit.

Really, I'd like to play a 3D game on the iPhone that doesn't suck. Something like Mario64 would be really fun. If there was a game like that available I would buy it.