Heat haze and water

Paul

This is the problem I'm talking about

shader.png

I had hoped to use the heat haze more frequently, but I need a way to work around this problem.

Intel Core i7 975 @ 3.33GHz, 6GB ram, GTX 560 Super OC, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

This as I understand it is a framework issue and requires another rendering pass to make it work. As this has been an issue for a long time I don't understand why the framework is not modified to accomodate this as a switchable option so that people who want to use it and take the hit can do but those who have no need of it can opt to simply not use it. That way it's a win win situation!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

This as I understand it is a framework issue and requires another rendering pass to make it work. As this has been an issue for a long time I don't understand why the framework is not modified to accomodate this as a switchable option so that people who want to use it and take the hit can do but those who have no need of it can opt to simply not use it. That way it's a win win situation!

Do you know if anyone has successfully done this?

From what I've read too its to do with the rendering pass, but I had the impression the problem existed before the framework.

Pixel is right, it's a problem with the framework. I don't know exactly whats the problem, but from what i remember it would need an additional buffer and an extra render pass. That would cost some frames just to see water behind heat haze effects :unsure:

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)

Pixel is right, it's a problem with the framework. I don't know exactly whats the problem, but from what i remember it would need an additional buffer and an extra render pass. That would cost some frames just to see water behind heat haze effects :unsure:

Yes, and it would happen all the time, in scenes that don't use either.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Why couldn't the extra rendering pass be made conditional. i.e one route for current rendering setup, another for the additional rendering pass conditionally selected by the programmer. That way apart from setting up the additional buffer, those that don't require it would simply not enable it! In theory the programmer could further reduce the hit by analyzing the presence of objects in the camera frustum and conditionally switching it based on that analysis.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Would it be possible to emulate the effect somehow?

I wanted to give guns a heat haze effect or use it for a flame thrower, but with other shaders conflicting, I'm wondering if a work around is possible.

The C framewerk code (the source code version of the framework) is available in older versions of LE2 but was no longer distributed after version 2.31 (I think). Either way it has not been maintained for some time and is missing some of the later features. However, I believe that the framework is still distributed as source code for Blitz Max.