GMF Converter

Kezryk

That is already possible. Just drag and drop your FBX file over the fbx2gmf.exe.

Yeah...that program seems to crash when your over a certain poly amount ...actually all the the .gmf converters do that.... even the one for 3Ds max ... sort of frustrating ..around the 30,000 poly limit it seems.. at least on my end its happening ... I tried a lot of models..

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

The poly limit is around 65535, so you might have more polys than 3DSmax is telling. UU3D would tell them more accurately, and it can also reduce the amount of polys without any visual quality loss.

But if you really have only 30k polys, then it sounds like a bug in the GMF converter. You could try to save it with UU3D as GMF and see if that works better.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I shouldnt have to buy another piece of software just to convert it. maybe support for 3ds,x, etc. could be added and do away with the conversion ****

and people would quit advertising other software to do what a game engine should do on its own.

3DS models would load too slow. Every decent 3D engine has their own fast loading Model format. But you should submit a bug report with your model, because the best would be to fix the GMF converter if it fails on 30k polygons. I would do it, but I don't have your model.

Yeah, and the other problem is that Autodesk bought all competion of 3DSMax, so that they don't have to fix any bugs anymore. And companies can't use Blender, because it's free.

I shouldnt have to buy another piece of software just to convert it. maybe support for 3ds,x, etc. could be added and do away with the conversion ****

and people would quit advertising other software to do what a game engine should do on its own.

You do not need to buy any other software to convert models. You have not posted any files for us to try, so there is no way for us to know what the problem you are having is.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

3DS models would load too slow. Every decent 3D engine has their own fast loading Model format. But you should submit a bug report with your model, because the best would be to fix the GMF converter if it fails on 30k polygons. I would do it, but I don't have your model.

Maybe he means quads and not triangles.

Maybe he means quads and not triangles.

That could be, because 3DSMax and Blender doesn't have any triangles, they use quads for modelling, and to get triangles you would need to convert the model as triangles first, so there's no way 3DSMax could know the amount of triangles on the fly. But you could just say triangles = quads*2, that is usually approximately correct, especially if the quads are convex. If a quad is not convex, it might result in 10 or more triangles.

• 11 months later...