Fast GUI icons :

YouGroove

Well i plan to have minimal GUI icons.

I know GUI systems can eat lot of Frame rate , what i really want to avoid.

So my basic questions ,is what is the fastest way to have Gui Icons ? use our onw system like things drawn on some 3D plane displayed on to pof the scene ?

Stop toying and make games

I've rolled in CEGUI and I don't observe any noticeble difference in FPS even with the most complicated GUI sheets open so I wouldn't worry about it, which I think is good advice in general. Get something working and if its slow, then optimize it later, but preferably don't waste time and bend your back to reinvent the wheel just for the odd single frame you may save.

Well i plan to have minimal GUI icons.

I know GUI systems can eat lot of Frame rate , what i really want to avoid.

So my basic questions ,is what is the fastest way to have Gui Icons ? use our onw system like things drawn on some 3D plane displayed on to pof the scene ?

since you can use any openGL draw functions, even VBO and Vertex/textcoord array drawings, you can really write or port allmost any 2d openGL gui over to LE without any big trouble.

Drawing arrays with like 100 quads/tris will not rly steal you FPS.(wich should be more than enough for a good concepted gui system including windows, buttons,texts and stuff)

I just tested it with more then 10.000 quads drawn from some arrays with GLdrawarrays() and lost like 1 fps.

Whuts wroong?

since you can use any openGL draw functions, even VBO and Vertex/textcoord array drawings, you can really write or port allmost any 2d openGL gui over to LE without any big trouble.

Drawing arrays with like 100 quads/tris will not rly steal you FPS.(wich should be more than enough for a good concepted gui system including windows, buttons,texts and stuff)

I just tested it with more then 10.000 quads drawn from some arrays with GLdrawarrays() and lost like 1 fps.

I agree. If its going to be simple you may as well just use OpenGl draw functions or the LE draw functions to draw lines and load images. It's pretty darn easy :).

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!