Noob question #354934.9....Programming language

Drew

So, I'm pretty well sold on using Leadwerks as a hobby/eventual engine for small games. My question is this: part of the reason I chose it is because i want to learn programming, but which language? I'm more of an artist than anything, so I'm mostly clueless when it comes to programming languages, other than knowing that C++ is a major game language. Just so you know where my head is, I'm not expecting to be able to jump in and make a AAA title, or an mmo or what have you. I'm 34 years old with finally enough free time to learn something new. From a starting stand point, where does one begin in picking a language? And why?

And so starts another language war :P

C++/BMax/Lua - These are the officially supported languages of LE. C++ being what the new engine is being written in, BMax is what the current version is written in. Josh has said porting Lua for mobile devices would be easy for the new LE and it's generally thought as the easier language of the 3 so it might be good to invest time in Lua.

Sorry, wasn't intending to stir the pot :P I'm sure any time I spent with one wouldn't be a waste of time, but I don't want to skip around, as I have a tendency to do that :P I'm trying to look at it from an entry stand point, since I have no experience in any, not since the commodore 64 :P I figured "hey, I don't code, let me ask some coders." Are the code interchangeable, i.e i have one item scripted in Lua, and another in C++? (now the complete noobness comes out :P) I'm just trying to wrap my head around how things work. thanks!

I started programming with QBasic, then VisualBasic, Delphi and finally C/C++. IMO there is nothing better than C/C++, because of the simple fact that it has more libraries (many of them free) than the other languages i know. Apart from that C/C++ is good for beginners and experts. You can go with C all the way and it will be almost like coding in some Basic language, or you take the object oriented C++ way, or you combine them. Like i said, it's just my personal opinion and there is no way to argue about a personal opinion :P

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)