.max exporting or coversion

stephan360

Hello, i am stuck on exporting a studio max file .max, it has no animations it is a model that is textured and rendered in 3ds max. I have uu3d but i have not found a plug in for .max extensions just the .3ds. Is there a .max plug in? Or what about saving my .max in autodesk to .3ds then exporting it and converting the .3ds to .gmf via uu3d or leadwerks tools. I am new to auto desk so i am unfamiliar with the differences of file formats and compatibility between the .max and .3ds, why does 3ds max have so many file formats im guessing they are for different uses? I have found this tool but it does not specify if it is for the .3ds or .max extension. http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/files/file/210-tools-for-3ds-max/

- .max is the native format 3D studio max uses (use this when working with 3dsmax)

- .max file is sort of an description of how max builds the scene, not a traditional 3d format like .3ds or .obj that contain pure vertex,animation, etc data.That's why it's almost impossible to import .max files into other programs (like for example you can't import .max into UU3d, ..but you can export UU3d from max )

-- autodesk now encourages the use of FBX format for transportation across different apps

- There is a plug-in for 3dsmax so you can export/import in UU3D format, which will come real useful when things don't work the regular way or for a nice max <-> uu3d <-> other-formats workflow

- .max is the native format 3D studio max uses (use this when working with 3dsmax)

- .max file is sort of an description of how max builds the scene, not a traditional 3d format like .3ds or .obj that contain pure vertex,animation, etc data.That's why it's almost impossible to import .max files into other programs (like for example you can't import .max into UU3d, ..but you can export UU3d from max )

-- autodesk now encourages the use of FBX format for transportation across different apps

- There is a plug-in for 3dsmax so you can export/import in UU3D format, which will come real useful when things don't work the regular way or for a nice max <-> uu3d <-> other-formats workflow

thanks bro, very informative.