The Last Chapter

Aily

Hi to everyone. Long time not se you ;)

I'm on a vacation, in willage, here noting to do, so i found my old (one of million) project and gather 4 levels for it.

Features:

1. almost finished gameplay

2. almost all bugs catched from charachter physics (but still have stacking in some places)

3. almost finished render and snene management

Story content and sound will be added later.

In two words: in far away future on earth leave a robots only. Your mission is to rebirth humanity, and for this you need to collect energy that droped in many different places.

Don't ask me about sphere that flying with charachter, it's small robot "The Satellit", it collecting energy and helps you to kick back angry bad robots.

If you past throu all 4 levels please leave here your game time, it's important to know how many minutes of gameplay i need to make next :)

Hope you will enjoy it ;)

P.S. Scene illumination is still incorrect in forward rendering mode, working on it.

post-260-0-18648300-1318405212_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-17336500-1318405222_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-14069100-1318405230_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-60602700-1318405244_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

"Better" is big enemy of "good"

only three minor things I would change/add.

1) control options because controls kind of tricky to use for some people.

2) hints to a objective after a period of time of not reaching a objective .

3) move enemy bots away from player when they spawn

4) make sure the player dose not spawn off of a cliff.

besides those things your game is awesome,

Tools:

AC3D | 3D Canvas(pro) | Texture Maker(pro) | Genetica(basic) | 3D World Studio | Fragmotion |Leadwerks 2 | XNA 4 | Visual Studio 2010 Professional | XCode 5.x |UU3D Pro

Programing & Scripting Languages:

C |C++ | C# | Obj-C | LUA | Javascript | PHP | Ruby

The default controls were very awkward, Space or up arrow key should be jump. Control should be shoot. Enter should be push or whatever that third thing was.

I really liked when 3D details in the foreground came up out of the screen, it felt almost like it was popping out of the monitor.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Never got past the loading screen. Not sure why. Win 7 32-bit. Unpacked it to my desktop. Installed the AL sound thing. Ran the exe and just used the default settings and it gets stuck on loading screen. I let it sit for about 3 mins.

c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/graphics.ini

Leadwerks Engine 2.41

Initializing Renderer...

OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

GLSL Version: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Render device: GeForce GTX 260/PCI/SSE2

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

DrawBuffers2 supported: 1

32 texture units supported.

GPU instancing supported: 1

Max batch size: 64

Shader model 4.0 supported: 1

Conditional render supported: 0

Loading shader "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//query.vert", ""...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/fonts/big.dds"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/fonts/small.dds"...

Loading shader "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//postfilters/postfilter.vert", "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//postfilters/lc_post.frag"...

Loading shader "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//postfilters/postfilter.vert", "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//postfilters/lc_blur.frag"...

Loading shader "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//postfilters/postfilter.vert", "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//postfilters/postfilter.frag"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/game_gui/gg_energy.dds"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/game_gui/gg_life.dds"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/game_gui/gg_bkg.dds"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/game_gui/gg_time.dds"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/game_gui/gg_key.dds"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/story/fast_help.dds"...

Loading mesh "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/bkg_1.gmf"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/bkg_1.mat"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/bkg_1.dds"...

Loading shader "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/mesh_diffuse.vert", "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/mesh_diffuse.frag"...

Loading shader "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/mesh_shadow.vert", ""...

Loading mesh "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/player_bullet.gmf"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/player_bullet.mat"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/player_bullet.dds"...

Loading shader "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/mesh_diffuse.vert", "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/lc_energy.frag"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/energy.mat"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/energy.dds"...

Loading mesh "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/sprite_dust.gmf"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/sprite_dust.mat"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/sprite_dust.dds"...

Loading shader "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/mesh_diffuse.vert", "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/lc_dust.frag"...

Loading mesh "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/player_bullet_fire.gmf"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/player_bullet_fire.mat"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/player_bullet_fire.dds"...

Loading shader "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/mesh_diffuse.vert", "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/lc_energy_fragcolor.frag"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/lighting.mat"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/lighting.dds"...

Loading shader "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//particles/particles.vert", "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//particles/particles_alphatest.frag"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/garbage1.mat"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/garbage1.dds"...

Loading shader "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/mesh.vert", "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/lc_garbage.frag"...

Loading mesh "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/enemy_segments.gmf"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/enemy_segments.mat"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/enemy.dds"...

Loading mesh "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/terminal_key.gmf"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/terminal_key.mat"...

READING MATERIAL: zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/terminal_key.mat

Loading shader "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/3ds.vert", "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/3ds.frag"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/explosion_1.mat"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/explosion_1.dds"...

Loading shader "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/mesh_anim_64_alpha.vert", "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/lc_energy.frag"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/explosion_2.mat"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/explosion_2.dds"...

Loading mesh "c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/z1.gmf"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/z1_grass1.mat"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/z1_wall_grass.mat"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/z1_beton1.mat"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/z1_metal1.mat"...

READING MATERIAL: zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/z1_grass1.mat

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/sprite_grass1.dds"...

Loading shader "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/mesh_shadow.vert", "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/3ds_shadow.frag"...

Loading shader "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/3ds.vert", "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/3ds.frag"...

READING MATERIAL: zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/z1_wall_grass.mat

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/wall_leaves.dds"...

READING MATERIAL: zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/z1_beton1.mat

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/mask.dds"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/beton1.dds"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/ground1.dds"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/grass1.dds"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/z1_beton_lightmap.dds"...

READING MATERIAL: zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/z1_metal1.mat

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/metal1.dds"...

Loading texture "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/z1_metal_lightmap.dds"...

Loading mesh "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/enemy.gmf"...

Loading material "zip::c:/users/rick/desktop/last_chapter/data.pak//data/enemy.mat"...

Loading shader "zip::c:

Rick, this is the next line for me:

Loading shader "zip::c:/documents and settings/x/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/mesh_skin_diffuse.vert", "zip::c:/documents and settings/x/desktop/last_chapter/shaders.pak//mesh/mesh_diffuse.frag"...

22:33 on first run. Very impressive. I'm also a little jealous because I'm trying to make a platformer but I work very slowly. Gonna PM you some questions, if you don't mind.

Some notes:

• More enemy types would be fun but I'd guess you're working on that.
  • Loved the wall jump and wall climb features. Same goes for the switch puzzles.
  • Levels may be a bit long. I like the exploration aspect but sometimes I got a bit impatient. Maybe include some shorter levels with larger energy balls that count as 5 instead of 1.
  • I like the keys as most indie platformers have a similar setup and it's natural for me.
  • Wall jump could still use a little tweaking but pretty smooth and natural for the most part.
  • You already noted similar but sometimes the character hangs in the air (next to a ledge).

Very well done!! :lol:

Aily ... you're a genious mate! Best Leadwerks game so far ... by a long way! The overall design and attention to detail is superb. I'd love to be able to give you a time, but my 7 year old son won't let me near it, he won't stop playing it. Once the novelty's worn off I might get to play it all the way through :)

Just needs some sound to really bring it to life.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Looks fantastic and the character controller provides already a nice game feeling.

There are two small things i realized during testing.

- The player was kicked down from the roboter and it always respawned next to the roboter and got kicked down again leading to an endless loop.

- The player count goes below zero

But as said really great work.

lastchapter_falling.jpg

I think you can set the light quality setting higher, it seems like there is very little edge filtering on the shadows. I also felt the controller needed more friction with the ground. It slides quite a bit which can make some jumps tricky, like that really hard part in level 3.

You have basically as many lights as you want, at no cost, so I would use them! A side scroller with awesome graphics is a niche, but it has little competition, so I would push the graphics to their full extent. I could definitely see this on Steam.

Can't wait to see what you do with this next.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

by the way, dont be long away, Soon ill need some personal info from ya B)

Ok, i will be here now often.

You should put this in the Asset Store Games section.

Yes, but first it must be finished ;)

only three minor things I would change/add.

1) control options because controls kind of tricky to use for some people.

2) hints to a objective after a period of time of not reaching a objective .

3) move enemy bots away from player when they spawn

4) make sure the player dose not spawn off of a cliff.

I'll try to implement it. In final version 2 types of controls will be - such as now, and Ctrl+Space at same time, so player can use both of them.

The default controls were very awkward, Space or up arrow key should be jump. Control should be shoot. Enter should be push or whatever that third thing was.

Space is a big button, in such game you need to push in 1000 times, it can broke your keyboard :D Anyway i will add it as i said before.

But up arrow is impossible in such gameplay, when you attached to metal wall and pressing up - you should crouch up, not jump, i thiking :)

Never got past the loading screen. Not sure why. Win 7 32-bit. Unpacked it to my desktop. Installed the AL sound thing. Ran the exe and just used the default settings and it gets stuck on loading screen. I let it sit for about 3 mins.

I don't know what reason of it. All other people runs good it's demo. May be you can try to unpack it direct on c:\ or d:\ drive?

Some notes:

• More enemy types would be fun but I'd guess you're working on that.
  • Loved the wall jump and wall climb features. Same goes for the switch puzzles.
  • Levels may be a bit long. I like the exploration aspect but sometimes I got a bit impatient. Maybe include some shorter levels with larger energy balls that count as 5 instead of 1.
  • I like the keys as most indie platformers have a similar setup and it's natural for me.
  • Wall jump could still use a little tweaking but pretty smooth and natural for the most part.
  • You already noted similar but sometimes the character hangs in the air (next to a ledge).

Some different enemy types will be

You very intolerant man, as me, i thinking that my levels is too short

Thanks for notes.

- The player was kicked down from the roboter and it always respawned next to the roboter and got kicked down again leading to an endless loop.

- The player count goes below zero

Will fix it, thanks

I think you can set the light quality setting higher, it seems like there is very little edge filtering on the shadows.

If i turn on soft shadows it acne all scene :( and does not matter when shadow map size is 2048 or higher, looks almost like raytrace.

There have not any filtering, only sharpen postfilter that affecting shadow enges because it high contrast.

I also felt the controller needed more friction with the ground. It slides quite a bit which can make some jumps tricky, like that really hard part in level 3.

:) He, so then the game will be very simple. It's platformer feature - gamer some nervice when cant pass throw some hard place :) Me myself long time learning to pass those place after creating it :D.

You have basically as many lights as you want, at no cost, so I would use them! A side scroller with awesome graphics is a niche, but it has little competition, so I would push the graphics to their full extent. I could definitely see this on Steam.

Can't wait to see what you do with this next.

I thinking it have cost. Because each light need to be culled before rendering, and many notebook CPU can't fast render many different "tentity", as i maked stress test: 1000-1500 tentity in scene is not slowdown FPS, 2000 - is many. So that is why i don't using many lights. But in level 2 each of energy sphere have light source.

Maybe in next dark level i will attenuate scene by meny spot lights.

It will be just fine, if it will be sold on STEAM or any other market.

Thanks all of you guys for replys!

Now i know that i need 6-8 levels more for 1 hour gameplay, i thinking it will be enough for such game.

We have no real issues with the game play or the controls, works well enough for us. The only issue we have seen, but have been unable to reproduce again, was one occasion where my son managed to get stuck inside one of the platform blocks and was unable to get out (a collision failure of some sort). Seeing hows he's played it every day since you released it I don't really think it's much of a problem though. We will definitely buy the finished game B)

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

yeah i had that happen once on the final level... i fell from a pretty good height onto one of the blocks and actually was embedded in it and unable to free myself... i couldn't jump but i could move side to side... but that was the only time i had any issues...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

We have no real issues with the game play or the controls, works well enough for us. The only issue we have seen, but have been unable to reproduce again, was one occasion where my son managed to get stuck inside one of the platform blocks and was unable to get out (a collision failure of some sort). Seeing hows he's played it every day since you released it I don't really think it's much of a problem though. We will definitely buy the finished game :)

B) it's some flatters to me.

Those bug with stacking in platform because charachter controller can't do swept collision. I will try to cast ray each time from current frame position to previous, to make my own swept collision. It can helps i thinking.

Professionnal looking game ! All is great B)

Does it you se a shader to have the cartoon look of the textures ? or it is just textures made like that with some filter applied under

Photoshop or other ?

(I'll try it tonight)

I tiled textures from real photos and make Palette Knife filter in Photoshop. But it's looks very blured (you can enable low render quality to see how textures looks like in files). But in hi quality render i'm using sharpen postfilter. Such technique i stolen from Prince Of Persia Prodigy :) There some same render style.