Web DLL with ActiveX

Josh

Does anyone know how to register a new MIME type and create an ActiveX control that calls a local DLL on the user's machine? I am not trying to download and call a DLL, just call an existing one. It should work on IE, FF, and Chrome.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• 2 weeks later...

That would mean Leadwerks3D to support WebGL, that is, web browsers, am I right?

I'd tend to say it's impossible at first, judging by the risky nature of executing a DLL, but I'm mighty curious how Unity does it. They do have a web player install though, right? In that case, you'd have to make plugins for these browsers, I think that'd be the simplest way.

• 2 months later...

This is a significant problem and if I find a solution to this it opens up a lot of possibilities for us all. Anyone know how to you make an ActiveX DLL for use with web browsers?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

it should be possible, the problem is since browsers are updating the support for it will be patched out, as I heard. anyhow it is possible.

just add a mime type to your web server, open up visual studio or something. and use the:

1) WPF Browser application

2) Silverlight application.

they will both allow you to call local content ;) but the user needs to activate it first by clicking accept. and also needs to use IE at least by using WPF browser app. for silverlight it just will work fine though.

hope I could help you out by this.

it should be possible, the problem is since browsers are updating the support for it will be patched out, as I heard. anyhow it is possible.

just add a mime type to your web server, open up visual studio or something. and use the:

1) WPF Browser application

2) Silverlight application.

they will both allow you to call local content wink.png but the user needs to activate it first by clicking accept. and also needs to use IE at least by using WPF browser app. for silverlight it just will work fine though.

hope I could help you out by this.

Both of which are for .NET applications, not standard C++ applications.

@Josh, I think it may just have been phrased oddly, but ActiveX is IE only if I'm not mistaken. You'll have to write an entirely different plugin for Firefox, Chrome, IE and assuming you're supporting it, Safari*.

----

* Being as Safari and Chrome both use webkit, the plugin architecture might be identical. I'm not sure.

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Let's make things happen.

I believe this is how OSAKit works. It works with everything on Windows.

All I need to do is a launch an executable that is already installed on the user's hard drive. The application itself can download a game package and parent its own window to the web browser.

Basically Visual Studio and Code::Blocks comes with a template for ActiveX DLL creation. Just compile it and then add the CLSID tag into your html web page.

This might help:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/14533/A-Complete-ActiveX-Web-Control-Tutorial

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■