Where do I begin?

Saito

Hi guys,

Im from the fallout modding community, using the geck, nifscope and 3dsmax to create my mods and Im now looking to dip my toes in real game developement, which apparently starts with learning an industry standard language. Eventually Ill want to move onto C++ but Ive been told to go to blitzbasic.com.

Upon arrival I saw several different forums, blitzplus, blitzmax and blitz3d, along with blitzsdk. Slightly overwhelmed I jus began reading random topics, one led me here which claimed leadwerks was the future of blitz, or something. I could be totally wrong, but yeah here I am, where do I begin?

You could begin by downloading the le evaluation pack and see if it runs on your computer. If it does and you likr it then play atound with the editor for a while and then consider purchase'

le can be developed in blitzmax,c++ or c# or lua script.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

I'd recommend Lua script personally. The current engine supports it, and the new engine will really push it. Coming from a modding community a scripting language might be easier for you and doesn't require any special IDE or setup.

one led me here which claimed leadwerks was the future of blitz

LE2 was created in bmax. The new LE3D is being created in C++.

If it does and you likr it then play atound with the editor for a while and then consider purchase'

I would just add some little thing :

You could try to make some little playable tiny prototype first with some simple Cube for the player and some stupid Ennemies (Cubes models why not).

If you succeed , makinsg something playable than buy it !

Caus there is no real game framework, it will be to you to load your models and manage their actions.

I'm more 3D artist than programmer , and that's not so trivial.

But perhaps you'll find that easy ?

In the other side, i can assure you that LeadWorks is one of the most easy 3D engines in the programming side, even if it don't propose a game Framework or you have to load your level and entities by hand !

The syntax and commands are among the most simple and clear to use , similar to Blitz3D that i used some 10 years ago or more :)

Stop toying and make games

If it does and you likr it then play atound with the editor for a while and then consider purchase'

I would just add some little thing :

You could try to make some little playable tiny prototype first with some simple Cube for the player and some stupid Ennemies (Cubes models why not).

If you succeed , makinsg something playable than buy it !

Caus there is no real game framework, it will be to you to load your models and manage their actions.

I'm more 3D artist than programmer , and that's not so trivial.

But perhaps you'll find that easy ?

In the other side, i can assure you that LeadWorks is one of the most easy 3D engines in the programming side, even if it don't propose a game Framework or you have to load your level and entities by hand !

The syntax and commands are among the most simple and clear to use , similar to Blitz3D that i used some 10 years ago or more :)

This is a great post! Thanks!

Jason

Wow thanks for all the advice guys, got a much better idea of what I should do now. So leadwerks, thats like visual studio? And Blitz, is a language? Intresting. Well, eventually Ill want to start working in cryengine3 so Ill move onto C++ for sure, as for an IDE, thats a scripting inviroment? Ive used Eclipse in the past, but only briefly, when modding the data files for Sins of a Solar Empire, its still installed, so that options there, though I found getting that enviroment setup correctly was pretty complex.

So, even with Blitz, I would need to work in an IDE, like Eclipse or notepad++, then import that script to leadwerks?

I would say get the le evaluation pack and see what its all about. You build a terrain in the editor and then place objects in it and then you reference them in the language of your choice. le is nothing to do with blitz exept that blitzmax is one of the suitable languages you can choose.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++