EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION, Bug Tracker locked?

DarkShadow6

Okay, so, I just downloaded the evaluation trial for Leadworks. It looks nice and everything, but after starting it up once, this messagebox shows up with the title "Windows exception" and the content "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION".

I Google'd around and it seems this is a nasty little error that pops up every once and again. I looked around the site and I found the bug tracker.

But then I saw I couldn't submit a bug. Can I not submit a bug since I didn't by a license? That seems awfully silly, really.

So, I posted it here.

The thing is, I don't want to spend 200 bucks on a program and have it not work.

Here's the full log (Editor.debug.exe):

Leadwerks Engine 2.43
Initializing Renderer...
OpenGL Version: 2.1.2
GLSL Version: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
Render device: GeForce 7050 / nForce 620i/PCI/SSE2
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
DrawBuffers2 supported: 0
16 texture units supported.
GPU instancing supported: 0
Shader model 4.0 supported: 0
Conditional render supported: 0
Loading shader "zip::c:/program files/leadwerks engine sdk/shaders.pak//query.vert", ""...
Invoking script "C:/Program Files/Leadwerks Engine SDK/Scripts/start/collisions.lua"...
Invoking script "C:/Program Files/Leadwerks Engine SDK/Scripts/start/fliphook.lua"...
Invoking script "C:/Program Files/Leadwerks Engine SDK/Scripts/start/globals.lua"...
DebugLog:Creating texture 0
DebugLog:OK
DebugLog:Creating texture 1
DebugLog:Creating texture 2
Loading material "c:/program files/leadwerks engine sdk/materials/cobblestones.mat"...
Loading texture "c:/program files/leadwerks engine sdk/materials/cobblestones.dds"...
DebugLog:Freeing unnamed texture.
Loading texture "c:/program files/leadwerks engine sdk/materials/cobblestonesdot3.dds"...
Loading shader "zip::c:/program files/leadwerks engine sdk/shaders.pak//mesh/mesh_diffuse_bumpmap.vert", "zip::c:/program files/leadwerks engine sdk/shaders.pak//mesh/mesh_diffuse_bumpmap_specular.frag"...
Error: Null buffer passed to SetBuffer().
~>Unhandled Exception:Error: Null buffer passed to SetBuffer().

WHAT DO?!

You might try downloading new drivers from www.nvidia.com. However, I don't think the engine will run very well on your card. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a GEForce 7050.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

You might try downloading new drivers from www.nvidia.com. However, I don't think the engine will run very well on your card. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a GEForce 7050.

Remember, it worked the first time I played it, right after I installed it. I even tried reinstalling, and the error still occurred.

Edit 1: Also, I got about 15-20fps on the desert map with everything on high, maybe 30 on low.

Edit 2:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/tracker/issue-153-editor-exception-access-violation/

Oh right it was fixed.

Yeah.

Uh huh.

*happens again*

1) you have a low end card so do not expect great performance with it

2) have you tried updating your drivers yet?

1) It's not great but it's fine with me. Not enough money to buy/build a rig at the moment (all my old computers that I played on years ago are gone now) so it's stock.

2) Not available on the NVidia website apparently (I've never looked into this before). I wonder why? All that's available are drivers for 610i and 630i. I could try one of them.

Also, what does my drivers have to do with this? I was able to successfully run the Editor once, so I doubt the problem resides there.

2) Not available on the NVidia website apparently (I've never looked into this before). I wonder why? All that's available are drivers for 610i and 630i. I could try one of them.

this appears to be suited for the 7 series: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-285.62-whql-driver.html

Also, what does my drivers have to do with this? I was able to successfully run the Editor once.

Typically thats the fix for issue whenever someone comes here and posts an issue the first time they have used LE. And its not necessarily a bug in LE if its an issue with your PC, as was the case with the bug report you referenced.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

I'll look that over, thanks.

Typically thats the fix for issue whenever someone comes here and posts an issue the first time they have used LE. And its not necessarily a bug in LE if its an issue with your PC, as was the case with the bug report you referenced.

*second time

It was the SECOND time I ran it. I ran it the first time after installing it and it was fine.

How do you think I was able to approximate the FPS in that one post? :mellow:

yep read it... saw it the first time... :mellow: but something on your pc didn't like running it and ****e the bed... a buffer didn't get set which usually means something with opengl got corrupted... so try installing a new graphics driver and reboot the PC... maybe even run the openal installer that comes with the evaluation version...

macklebee's channel

yep read it... saw it the first time... :mellow: but something on your pc didn't like running it and ****e the bed... a buffer didn't get set which usually means something with opengl got corrupted... so try installing a new graphics driver and reboot the PC... maybe even run the openal installer that comes with the evaluation version...

I edited my post a bit because I thought it sounded angry, I hope you didn't take it bad :c

Anyway, I'm installing the driver now. Afterwards I'll uninstall and reinstall the darn thing, again. :U

Okay, I installed the drivers, restarted twice. Didn't fix anything, but I did indeed have factory-default drivers that sucked, so nothing of value was lost.

So then I uninstalled Leadweks again, then I used RegEdit and CCleaner to muck around with the registry and some files, cleaned my computer of all files and keys related to Leadwerks.

And, for good measure, I restarted and reset all my NVidia settings to default.

Whatever I did after installing the drivers seems to have worked, as now the Editor starts up as normal.

Thanks for the advice, you peoples.

And now on to my second problem: why is the bug tracker locked for non-paying members?

And now on to my second problem: why is the bug tracker locked for non-paying members?

no reason for it to be open to non-paying members that only have a 30 day trial, especially when it wasn't a bug like in your case... if there is a bug, then just post it here in this forum because typically you will get a quicker response than putting it in the bug tracker.

macklebee's channel

no reason for it to be open to non-paying members that only have a 30 day trial, especially when it wasn't a bug like in your case... if there is a bug, then just post it here in this forum because typically you will get a quicker response than putting it in the bug tracker.

That's true.

Why wouldn't it be?

I guess it makes sense to use the payment as a sort of "verification," such as not letting people easily spam it or something.

Thanks for your help, this community might have one more member soon :3