Programming forums

Josh

I want to merge all the programming forums into one. There are too many forums, and the sub-categories get confusing. Most programming topics don't revolve around only one language, as they are all pretty similar once you get over the syntax. I know I just stopped reading them all once they were split up into different languages. I think the most recent topics in programming are more relevant to most people than having them divided up so you don't have to see something in another language. What do you think?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

ehh... at this point you might as well just put them all into one gigantic post called 'Miscellaneous' since people cannot seem to grasp the idea to post their programming questions into relevant forum boards anyways... :(

and i know what you are saying but i actually like having the ability to search for things based on the language... and clustering them altogether removes that ability... i know... i am apparently one of the few people that actually uses the forum SEARCH but it is a nice feature and the less irrelevant posts i have to sift through when searching for something the better...

and another thing, every time you start messing with the layout / format of the forum, something gets lost or screwed up... like now... apparently you decided to throw all the sub forums of Artwork under one category? well its farked now... i only see two posts... i would request that you not mess with it but just ask people to post questions in the appropriate subforum...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

@Josh, don't you use the "View New Content" link? You can have all the forums in the world and it wouldn't matter because "View New Content" gives you the new posts to check out and see if you want to comment on them. Who tries to sift through each forum individually? What a pain that would be.

they are all pretty similar once you get over the syntax

I don't think some people want/can get over that. I don't blame them for that though. I don't want to read BMax code and I'm sure there are people who don't want to read C++, .NET or Lua. There is a forum if a person is trying to ask a question on a more generic level and it gets used, but language specific questions do come up also so it's nice to have those.

I fixed the artwork forum, thanks for pointing that out.

@Josh, don't you use the "View New Content" link? You can have all the forums in the world and it wouldn't matter because "View New Content" gives you the new posts to check out and see if you want to comment on them. Who tries to sift through each forum individually? What a pain that would be.

Yeah, that proves my point. Too many subforums.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I'm moving 3D World Studio into the tools section of the Asset Store, and focusing the whole site on the engine. (The new version merges 3DWS and the engine together.)

Yeah, that proves my point. Too many subforums.

When you have the tools to query what you need I'd say it doesn't prove the point of to many subforums.

If you are going to do this is there a way the user can select the language they are posting about and have it show up in the subject or something so we don't have to read posts that are in languages we aren't interested in?

I'm moving 3D World Studio into the tools section of the Asset Store, and focusing the whole site on the engine. (The new version merges 3DWS and the engine together.)

:( into the tools section of the Asset Store? so basically guaranteeing that no one will ever get a quick reply to a 3dws question by removing it from an obvious forum location...

macklebee's channel

I won't do this quite yet, but keep it in mind. Also, in LE3 the syntax all matches between supported languages, so that should make things more cross-language friendly.

It'll be interesting to see how it looks but It's not always about LE's commands. Sometimes people make a library for a specific language or have questions about how to go about doing something in a specific language and it's nice to know that before going into a post. If you can have any sort of attributes for a post (language for example) that can be searched on and viewed somewhere before entering the post, that would be handy. Maybe another icon of the language to the left or the post or something to visually show the language in which a the OP was able to select from a list of languages when they made the post.

I won't do this quite yet, but keep it in mind. Also, in LE3 the syntax all matches between supported languages, so that should make things more cross-language friendly.

well since you are combining them together in LE3 it makes sense to have the LE3 forum set like that... but to do it to the LE2 forums now seems strange... and unnecessary...

and you have to fix the community tuts... Articles? everything under programming... if newbies are confused now, just wait until they try searching thru that cluster...

macklebee's channel

One single programming forum is the best. There should be one programming language only anyway, if it works on Android, it sure works on any toaster on this planet.

Language specific differences are quite trivial, and the major amount of code is anyway cross-language specific, because the LE syntax is cross-language, and covers the major part of any game code.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

One single programming forum is the best. There should be one programming language only anyway

see... if mika thinks its a good idea then you know its got to be the wrong way to go... :(:lol: j/k...

but it goes back to what rick was saying... there are times when people have specific language related questions and would make sense to have them separated...

granted its not going to matter since SDK owners for some reason keep posting programming questions in the public Beginner's forum instead of an actual programming forum... :P

macklebee's channel

I think it's just the opposite, I also like the movies best which nobody else likes, because they are the best. For example Star Wars Episode 3 (=Revenge of the Sith), it was the best of all. Nobody else thinks so, most people think they are Star Wars insiders because they like Episode 5 (=The Empire strikes back) the best. A true Star Wars fan understands the whole plot.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

The problem is we have too much categorization, and people end up not visiting sections, myself included. I am trying to make everything one level deep, across the site.

Josh i really love all your work, but that idea is totally crazy.

Just keep it as it is, because it's fine that way. Some people will always

post in the wrong forums, but normally there are moderators to move these

posts to the proper location.

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)

What do you think?

The problem is we have too much categorization, and people end up not visiting sections, myself included. I am trying to make everything one level deep, across the site.

whats wrong with categorization? how can dividing up posts to reasonable topics not help people searching for answers? you know i was kidding when i said put everything under one Miscellaneous forum board :(

and its been pointed out that there is a 'View New Content' link that shows all new posts... and considering there are only maybe 5 to 10 new posts every day, is it really that hard to keep up with new topics no matter what subforum they are in? I can do it within the first 15 minutes of coming to the site so i fail to see what is so hard about it...

and honestly, how can you look at all the community tuts that you placed into one section and say that's not more confusing than having them separated by programming language? its just a clusterfark right now...

macklebee's channel

The problem is people with programming questions who use C++ will never get seen by someone who might know the answer who uses C#, etc. We have a "general" programming forum, so people have to choose whether they want their question asked in a sub-forum that is more specific, or in general programming, where they might get more views. Or they might get fewer, if everyone just sticks to their own language sub-forum.

Here's Macklebee posting in the wrong forum:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/4135-animationlength

Once the programming forums got split up like they are now, I just stopped reading them.

I don't like begginers or advanced sections. I have been around since le 1.10 and can no longer call myself a begginer. On the other hand most of my questions are not really on advanced topics. Generaly speaking I look at all programmung questions whatever the language in the hope of pivking up some tips.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++