Texture lights using normals

Rekindled Phoenix

Aggror posted a projector light which was invaluable, but what I'm talking about is normal-based texture lights.

Crysis used them heavily for rain and snow effects using the normals to apply a speckled texture. While playing Skyrim I've noticed they took it one step further than snow, using the alpha of a texture to add vines to rock walls, etc.

I would absolutely love if this was integrated into LE3 and as a patch to a version of LE2

Please!

Aggror posted a projector light which was invaluable, but what I'm talking about is normal-based texture lights.

Crysis used them heavily for rain and snow effects using the normals to apply a speckled texture. While playing Skyrim I've noticed they took it one step further than snow, using the alpha of a texture to add vines to rock walls, etc.

I would absolutely love if this was integrated into LE3 and as a patch to a version of LE2

Please!

Can you explain more about this technique?

Or maybe a screenshot or a reference where it is explained?

Maybe I'll do it if its worthy :)

Ali Salehi | Programmer

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.0GHz | GeForce GTS 450 | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

LE 2.50 | Visual Studio 2010 | RenderMonkey 1.82 | gDEBugger 5.8 | FX Composer 2.5 | UU3D 3 | xNormal 3.17

76561198023085627.png

In Skyrim , i just see standard snow textures with some normal map , even vines seems to be standard normal map texture ??

I didn't dig much more , but yes some tech document would be better to understand what is done.

I won't code it , but im' interested in the technique for my own 3D culture :)

Stop toying and make games

Both Skyrim and Crysis also uses hundreds of decals to floors walls, and even other objects. I noticed a heavy use of decals to add variance to models.

Note, that there are two techniques that I would want for Leadwerks:

1. The ability to apply decal textures to any model / surface in-game, without the FPS overhead.

2. A snow / rain shader OR "projector" light which can apply a surface normal

You guys asked for screenshots, so here they are!

post-214-0-60797400-1324352602_thumb.jpg

post-214-0-00447300-1324352617_thumb.jpg

post-214-0-14239900-1324352628_thumb.jpg

Both Skyrim and Crysis also uses hundreds of decals to floors walls, and even other objects. I noticed a heavy use of decals to add variance to models.

Note, that there are two techniques that I would want for Leadwerks:

1. The ability to apply decal textures to any model / surface in-game, without the FPS overhead.

2. A snow / rain shader OR "projector" light which can apply a surface normal

You guys asked for screenshots, so here they are!

Do you mean a light that modifies scene normal of its affected surfaces?

What I understand is that something like a rain shader blends an animated rain normal on top of the scene normal. Is that correct?

BTW, the first one is quite simple. It is a projected texture that blends on top of the g-buffer based on the scene depth. But it should be done between the g-buffer generation, and lighting step. So without having access to these steps of the Framework, the only way to do this is to rewrite the whole Framework.

One other way that we currently use is to generate a decal mesh in an offline build step, and render it with overlay, depth mask and alpha blend settings. The results are good enough for us, as our decals can have normal and specular maps. But as it makes build step longer maybe I'll write my own Framework someday.

Ali Salehi | Programmer

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.0GHz | GeForce GTS 450 | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

LE 2.50 | Visual Studio 2010 | RenderMonkey 1.82 | gDEBugger 5.8 | FX Composer 2.5 | UU3D 3 | xNormal 3.17

76561198023085627.png

If anyone could write it as a shader/ post-processing filter, I would be more than happy!!

A simple texture projection could do the job ? only the texture diffuse will change, but it can be done with a normal map !

Lot of games use it from years, like "Fear" game to make bullet holes everywhere, in some shader forums there must be some code i

think, it can be standard shader technique nowadays ?

In Skyrim they make variation using decals , but also some flat 3D planes also on top of some wall or floor !

Stop toying and make games

• 4 weeks later...