Super Generic Man

Road Kill Kenny

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce 'Super Generic Man' also known as 'Place-holder Man'

I got tired of using a green cube for my character so I made this generic male body and head to give myself more motivation. Hope you like it.

Made in Blender using Box modelling for the body and by poly modelling for the head.

post-3220-0-47155700-1325216222_thumb.jpg

post-3220-0-66639100-1325212556_thumb.png

'Taking generic man for a spin... .this was before I gave him feet lol

I plan to animate and texture him very soon.

Note: He is not naked.. He is just wearing very tight full body spandex like all superheroes do :)

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

For now it is just going to be my base character for my game for testing purposes etc. much better than a green cube. However, as my game is multiplayer pvp, the character is not particularly important, hence it will be easy to convert generic man later for use in my game. especially If I can just add things like armor etc.

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

I find it incedible that this can be done in blender. Must have been a steep learning curve.

Why would you find this incredible to be done in blender. Blender is probably the easiest of 3d modeling programs to learn and you can pretty much search anything you want to learn on youtube and find a tutorial on how to do it.

Blender is an incredible software. I used to use 3ds Max but I totally converted over to Blender not just because its free but it is just so much faster to work with. I think a lot of people just don't take the time to get used to the different user interface and quirks that make Blender Blender. Once you get used to them it is so much faster than max and all the tools are incredibly well thought out. I used to make characters in max with rigging and all and it took me so much longer than with Blender.

How many triangles is your G Man?

10k. Probably could be less but I really don't care.

Edit: Also the good thing I've found about Blender is that even after you have rigged it and weight painted it you can still go back and edit verticies etc. I even added in more poly's and it didn't effect the rig. So it can still be improved without adding more there are enoguh poly's

Hehe yeh. Got a lot more to do and actually 5 different idling stances Lols for different situation. Luckily it's pretty quick to make the animations the way it's rigs. Also gotta do a tonne of ability animations. Though dieing (an annoying one) is gonna be ragdoll.

;)

10k. Probably could be less but I really don't care.

Edit: Also the good thing I've found about Blender is that even after you have rigged it and weight painted it you can still go back and edit verticies etc. I even added in more poly's and it didn't effect the rig. So it can still be improved without adding more there are enoguh poly's

10k is not bad. Leadwerks can handle that. With my characters I have reduced my top two LODs a good amount. The highest is right around 7,500. The second highest is about 5,000. The only difference between the two are the heads. The body's are the same, but for the top LOD I gave the head 2,500 more tris for facial animation.

10k is not bad. Leadwerks can handle that. With my characters I have reduced my top two LODs a good amount. The highest is right around 7,500. The second highest is about 5,000. The only difference between the two are the heads. The body's are the same, but for the top LOD I gave the head 2,500 more tris for facial animation.

Yeh I think for First LOD0 I will keep it as is. For LOD1 I will remove the subdivision on the head and for LOD2 I will remove the subdivision on The whole thing. That will bring it down to about a quarter of the tri's by the last LOD at least. However, looking at it now without any subdivision I could probably get away without subdividing at all, though the subdivision makes the animation deformations much better around the legs. My game involves a few crazy combat moves that require some extensive movement positioning of the legs. Where the legs bend at the waist they cut in a lot with 0 subdivision on. Though it looks much better with 1. Either way its Blender so I don't have to make that decision for a while. All I'd have to do to change it is re-export it and do UV's again provided I had already done them lol.

We just have now to make some clothes and accessories :D

Well until my game mechanics and coding are well implemented he's probably gonna stay naked. I will probably give him a texture and with that some underwear for now hehe. For my game players will be able to switch armour and weapons etc. Therefore S.Generic Man will just become my base male character. probably will also make S.Generic Woman too but Also need to do more coding.

BTW I made a running sequence. Took me ages to get it nice and smooth where it actually looks like he's running and not stomping around really fast. Been tweaking it for ages and had to re order my rigging hierarchy to make it better. But its coming along and I implemented the running and idle animations into my game. I think I'm going to code some of the animation as well to get a more natural look. By that I mean things like tilting the whole body when running and turning at the same time to make it look more dynamic.

Blender is an incredible software.

I agree its is Free, and my only prefered tool to rig, animate and do solid or low poly modeling.

For Characters i use Sculptris , and sometiems my Zbrush licensed tool.

But Sculptris is the best if you don't need to go in crazy details (pipeline Sculptris -> Zbrush exist with export / import in Obj format and now with "Goz" directly).

For my game players will be able to switch armour and weapons etc

So do you plan some special editor to define the offset for attaching points, or will it be to objects to attach to have some bone at the right place ?

BTW I made a running sequence. Took me ages to get it nice and smooth where it actually looks like he's running and not stomping around really fast. Been tweaking it for ages and had to re order my rigging hierarchy to make it better.

Yes , i know how character making is very long and sometimes tedious task , due to things to improve lot more like rigging or animation to improve.

Once you'll have one ready, you will be able to say , ok finished on the "character" part :)

Stop toying and make games

I agree its is Free, and my only prefered tool to rig, animate and do solid or low poly modeling.

For Characters i use Sculptris , and sometiems my Zbrush licensed tool.

But Sculptris is the best if you don't need to go in crazy details (pipeline Sculptris -> Zbrush exist with export / import in Obj format and now with "Goz" directly).

So do you plan some special editor to define the offset for attaching points, or will it be to objects to attach to have some bone at the right place ?

1. Unless you are doing a lot of retopo then you pretty much can't use sculptris to do your modelling because you would get way too many poly's. Also why would you bother with Scuptris if you have Zbrush?

2. No I don't plan on some special editor to define offset for attaching points. It is totally not necessary and would complicate things. Basically I will just attach armour to my rig in separate files and it will be loaded into position and animate with the character no probs. As far as attaching weapons is concerned its even easier. I made bones in my rig that don't deform the body. These bones are weapon bones.All I need to do is copy the entity matrix of the weapon bones to my weapon meshes and then parent the weapon to the weapon bone. No need for an editor.

For sculptris, you should tru it one day !

All people having tried it have been very happy , it's very simple to use, it have great basic tools, and your surface can be like you wan tany time, no

constraint like it was before Zbrush R2 ! And you have a tool to reduce polygons on surface also.

You go very fast , if you need you can continue hight detail in Zbrush !

And indeed i use Retopology , but with 3D Coat that have the better i've seen for the price, and it's very very fast , specially with tools like the lines drawing for

example or the auto Quad creation, the last version have also som auto retopology.

If you have time , just search on youtube for Sculptris tutorials, and 3D Coat retopology.

Ok, you have bones sepcially to attach by code the weapons and shield ?

I would be interested in that "attaching" code when you'll reach that part of programming :)

For sculptris, you should tru it one day !

All people having tried it have been very happy , it's very simple to use, it have great basic tools, and your surface can be like you wan tany time, no

constraint like it was before Zbrush R2 ! And you have a tool to reduce polygons on surface also.

You go very fast , if you need you can continue hight detail in Zbrush !

And indeed i use Retopology , but with 3D Coat that have the better i've seen for the price, and it's very very fast , specially with tools like the lines drawing for

example or the auto Quad creation, the last version have also som auto retopology.

If you have time , just search on youtube for Sculptris tutorials, and 3D Coat retopology.

Ok, you have bones sepcially to attach by code the weapons and shield ?

I would be interested in that "attaching" code when you'll reach that part of programming :)

Have a look at the Octopus in my DP. That was done in sculptris. I already have it. I also already have 3D Coat and use it a lot. lol

Here is the code for attaching:

http://www.leadwerks.com/wiki/index.php?title=Entities#FindChild

http://www.leadwerks.com/wiki/index.php?title=Entities#GetEntityMatrix

http://www.leadwerks.com/wiki/index.php?title=Entities#SetEntityMatrix

http://www.leadwerks.com/wiki/index.php?title=Entities#EntityParent

lol nothing fancy

You have nothing to learn from me so :)

So your character was in traditionnal modeling, you are skilled in tha side.

I prefer to do character with sculpting in sculptris with a pen tablet, it is fast , i make the body really fast and easily , than do retopology with 3D Coat.

It's my way that i find lot more natural for me.

Thanks for the links, i'll have to do some test of attaching things also.

(I don't have touched a lot in LE2 code, i'm preparing lot more for LE3D and i'm using lot more 3D World Studio actually).

Your generic character will it be generic for LE engine and users, or it is the base for your game ?

Shared or copyrighted ?