Performance boost and multithreading

TheoLogic

On lower specs I want my game to look like source (old version, be4 L4D) mods, with same framerates. How higher the specs, how better I want the game to look without loosing some framerate.

That's easy. Render straight to the back buffer with no lighting. It will look terrible, but it will be fast.

I'd be interested in hearing some definite framerates on your machine for the editor with one of the included scenes opened, at the default window size.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

these loading times don't make sense... and as for the editor taking a long time to close, wasn't that an issue back in the day with sandbox and the modelviewer due to some issue with a driver? my editor closes immediately.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

i may be mising this but is your loading time on a laptop

as the spec you showing is laptop spec

so the slowest part you got is harddisk so it may be the problem but i could be wrong

PLus i would say update you driver as laptop driver are normal very old even when its a new laptop

sorry if am wrong on this and forget what i said

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

Your performance actually seems pretty good considering the card. You're rendering about 500,000 trees at 30 FPS with dynamic lighting on a GEForce 7? :( How is that bad?

I can't really comment on the load times. It doesn't make sense to me why that would be slow. Perhaps the card has a low memory bandwidth, in which case the best thing would be to lower the texture quality and reload the scene.

This is a sort of related topic, although I don't think multithreading would do anything for your performance on this machine:

http://blitzmax.com/...php?topic=88306

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Well I just put together this low spec test system

System POS: Desktop case (That is, spread out over a desktop :lol: )

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2GHz

1 GB RAM

Maxtor 40GB HDD

XP Home SP3

Sapphire Radeon X1550 ATI 512MB DDR2 AGP

ATI Catalyst Display Driver Version 9.11

Editor opening : 4.5 secs

The only standard map I could open was the tunnels anything else caused the editor to exit.

Tunnels.sbx : opened in ~3 secs

With everything turned on or set to high that is:

post-12-12615172126075_thumb.jpg

Running the flythrough.lua I got between 7 and 12 FPS.

Editor when closed exited almost instantly.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Some bloated anti-virus programs tend to slow down opening of files (usually all commercial ones). Using ClamWin everything works fast, and it finds also real viruses (commercial ones find only false alerts).

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

The X1550 actually isn't supported because it can't perform texture lookups in the vertex shader, which is why the terrain maps crashed.

I wondered about that, but I was more interested in the load times and see if I could replicate the times TheoLogic was getting.. but even with a low spec POS test system I could not. I view the results for the test platform considering its spec quite a success :lol:

The X1550 was the lowest spec SM3 card I had.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

These loadingtimes are really wired.

I did a testmap with over 13600 mapmodels of one type to see how it performs or if it'll crash. But after 2mins of loading it was all fine with no errors and good framerates.

The maps you mention load very fast within 15sec.

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

The point has gone missing again. It's possible for me to run some cool looking things, but I don't have the performance left for gameplay!

Josh, you tell me I render about 500,000 trees at 30 FPS with dynamic lighting on a GEForce 7, I don't have anything left for gameplay. There aren't even collisions!

I will restate my point again:

- Make LWE deployable to lower end specs (and I don't mean 300bucks mini laptops, but for example I can run L4D2 on a GeForce go 7600, but I can't run leadwerks at decent framerates).

- Speed up everything. I want to help with this, basic tests what is or isn't faster. Test on older systems, ...

- Fix existing bugs first

Just to add to this I've recently done a test with 20 AI controlled NPCs. Each one uses a character controller to move about.

The update world statement takes 20 - 30 seconds <_<

Hoping this can be improved on as I would like on a level >100 AI characters.

My machine spec is: -

GW-265 GAINWARD GEFORCE GTX260 "GOLDEN SAMPLE" *216 STREAM PROCESSOR* 55NM SLI 896MB DDR3 TV-OUT/DUAL DVI PCI-EXPRESS

250 GB SATA-II HDD UDMA 300 7200 8MB

Motherboard Integrated 5.1 Sound

Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)

450W PSU

Motherboard Integrated Graphics

Corsair XMS2 4GB PC2-8500 1066 MHZ (2 x 2 GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR2)

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 (2 x 2.9 GHZ) 1066FSB - 3 MB

ASUS P5Q 1600FSB (Intel P45)

Yeah, character controllers are hard on the physics engine it looks like. For that many characters dump the player controller and just do raycasts for whatever you need. I've had 200+ NPCs moving around at 20-30FPS, but they were only doing a raycast downwards to find out the terrain height, playing 2 animations and moving around. Are they all on screen at the same time? If not, maybe turn off their player controllers when they're not on screen or > than a certain distance away and enable them when it makes a difference?

Windows 7 x64 - Q6700 @ 2.66GHz - 4GB RAM - 8800 GTX

ZBrush - Blender

The point has gone missing again.

Wasn't one of those points loading times?

I can run L4D2 on a GeForce go 7600, but I can't run leadwerks at decent framerates

Means nothing without more info. Like what settings L4D2 was using and if it had good framerates .. the only accurate comparison that can be drawn so far is you can run both.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Yeah, character controllers are hard on the physics engine it looks like. For that many characters dump the player controller and just do raycasts for whatever you need. I've had 200+ NPCs moving around at 20-30FPS, but they were only doing a raycast downwards to find out the terrain height, playing 2 animations and moving around. Are they all on screen at the same time? If not, maybe turn off their player controllers when they're not on screen or > than a certain distance away and enable them when it makes a difference?

I was worried that doing that many line picks would be just as slow. But with your evidence I'll drop the controller. I was going to in the future anyway as I wanted to do foot placement and IK as I think floaty NPCs on slopes/stairs looks "old hat".

For far off characters (not viewed by players eyes) I could use the navmesh as it knows an estimate of where the floor is and recast is very fast.

However footplacement my be beyond me and will be out of reach for a lot of leadwerks users, so the controller does need to be sorted.

Wasn't one of those points loading times?

Means nothing without more info. Like what settings L4D2 was using and if it had good framerates .. the only accurate comparison that can be drawn so far is you can run both.

Loading times is one thing, I think this is just an error on older specs.

And what a whine about me running L4D2 at full settings on my gf's laptop, you have to be an idiot to not see the comparison. And if you read well, it uses a 7600 card, not running leadwerks over 10 FPS on low resolutions.

I don't try to prove LWE is slow on lower end specs and older pc's, I'm saying it is and I think most people will agree. I'm asking to boost performance, and support deploying to lower specs. I also want multithreading in-engine, so we have seperate update and render calls, ...

And what a whine about me running L4D2 at full settings on my gf's laptop, you have to be an idiot to not see the comparison. And if you read well, it uses a 7600 card, not running leadwerks over 10 FPS on low resolutions.

:) you never mentoned settings for L4D2 hence the comment ... you simply stated you could run it.

I can run L4D2 on a GeForce go 7600, but I can't run leadwerks at decent framerates

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Loading times is one thing, I think this is just an error on older specs.

Well I tried it on a POS low spec system and could not get the same problem.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

I don't try to prove LWE is slow on lower end specs and older pc's, I'm saying it is and I think most people will agree.

hmmm i can say the same for crysis as well when ran on a POS pc... <<--speaking from experience

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

- Make LWE deployable to lower end specs (and I don't mean 300bucks mini laptops, but for example I can run L4D2 on a GeForce go 7600, but I can't run leadwerks at decent framerates).

Yes you can. Turn off shadows.

Left 4 dead uses a combination of static lightmaps and single projected shadows, with vertex colors for lighting of dynamic objects. This is the approach I used to use before version 2.0 came out. I will never again implement a bsp-based engine like this.

One consequence of a uniform lighting model like STALKER and Crysis use is that on low-end cards the older engines may actually look better than the newer one with settings lowered. The same was true when HL2 came out; the fixed-function renderer was so simple it looked worse than Quake 3.