My SSAO Implementation

LordHippo

For many implementations I would want it on bright surfaces as well. If ever this is released, I'd be thrilled to know how to make it work regardless of the lighting amount.

I'll ask again though, will it be released? It's truly incredible.

• Upvote 1

Hello everyone.

Sorry for the delay

To make it short, my plan was to improve and share the shader, along with many other things I've done in the past months.

But our producer told me that I don't have the permission to release these shaders, paid or free.

I tried to convince him that these are my own work, not the company's, and I can use them in any way I want. But I had no success sad.png

I really don't like these kind of restrictions, as they only cause us the slow-down in the development when everybody should do everything him/herself.

Maybe someday when I quit this company I can release them as a package for Leadwerks. rolleyes.gif

But I promise you that I'll do my best to convince him to release these shaders to community.

So hope me luck tongue.png

ps: I'm really sorry for this behavior. It's not my own preference. Hope you understand.

Ali Salehi | Programmer

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.0GHz | GeForce GTS 450 | 4GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

LE 2.50 | Visual Studio 2010 | RenderMonkey 1.82 | gDEBugger 5.8 | FX Composer 2.5 | UU3D 3 | xNormal 3.17

76561198023085627.png

Unless he can legally bind your code to his company by a contract, he may not stop you from publishing your code. Now, the legal part of this will hang in a couple of factors, all depending on said contract (if it exists), including whether you coded this on your work hours (assuming you're not doing freelance task-oriented work but workplace hours), whether this shader was requested for the product, etc.

If he threatens to fire you or whatnot, without legal backup, you can contact work protection agencies in your area who will gladly support you in fighting back.

Chances are that if he seems to feel threatened, he simply realized that you did a great shader and tries to take it from you, without that being in his right.

If you put a copyright notice in the shader file, saying that it's your copyright, then his company can do nothing about it. And then add also a zlib license portion, so everyone can use it without claiming that they wrote it.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Haha. Simple, hilarious and effective. Moreover, upload it to a reliable code directory like Google Code, so that the upload date can be trusted and grant you prior copyrighting.

In any case, any original code you write is copyrighted to you, notice or not, unless you specify otherwise in a written manner (e. g. contract).

Whatever the situation, your a clever bloke, amazing shader! You can't release the shader, but you maybe could pass on knowledge & advice to Josh or a.n.other here for them to implement it or something similar?

I remember Josh saying he would find the right person to do water/water shader. I reckon with your attention to detail, Leadwerks would have the best ocean water of all.

That's a good point. LordHippo - Consider writing an in-depth technical blog post about the shader and only release snippets to explain the core improvements?

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009

If I was his boss, I wouldn't want it released if it was created as part of his employment, but if he left my company to work elsewhere, I couldn't erase his knowledge of how to write a similar shader for the other company!! He may have signed a confidentiality contract? that's what I am signed on to for one of my clients, but it is specific to remaining closed lipped about their affairs, I can and do use skills acquired whilst working for them in works for other clients. They own the material, they don't own my brain.

Most companies will include provisions in your employment contract that stipulates that any ideas, designs, products created that could impact an industry your employer participates are their IP, and not yours. That's standard.

It is of course something one could have a legal battle over and succeed under the right circumstances. But most will realize that doing so would very likely burn way too many bridges to be worthwhile.

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009

It depends whether they asked him to write this shader as part of his employment, he may well have started working on this outside of work, shown it at work, then they decide it's great and carry on and finish it for us thanks very much…companies do take advantage like that sometimes, it's happened to me. It's a fine line sometimes, but for certain ALL good ideas are copied. Share shader & lose job or don't share & keep job is a no brainier although i have a rebel streak n my boss is a 'wonderful person' [joke to Ken] so I'd be tempted to share n get another job ;)

Of course, if your employer requested the shader for a product, and stipulates in a signed contract and/or agreement with you that all works produced within X period, including shaders, are the company's intellectual property, then don't complain; it's normal that you can't release it.

But that's rarely if ever the case for junior programming jobs. And considering LordHippo is 21, this one job probably is. Employers tend to be very loose on contracts, if even there is a contract. I developed, for example, a whole CMS for my employer, which I could legally resell. All I got from my employer was an informal email telling me not to do that, almost with a pretty please.

Truth is, all that matters is legality. Employers, especially greedy and bad ones, tend to use intimidation and exploit the ignorance of junior employees in order to abuse their intellectual property or other work rights. But it's not legal, therefore it doesn't stand.

Extending the laws of your own country to those of others is to make huge assumptions and the general deciding factor in many of these types of cases is not whether it is legal or not but whether you can afford to fight it should the employer take you to court. You will undoubtedly have lost your job by then and depending on the country may not have access to state funding to fight such a case. I doubt a company would do this over a couple of shaders but the point stands!

I'm sure Lord Hippo will come to whatever conclusions and decisions are right for him, he is obviously an intelligent person and more than capable of weighing these things up for himself. At least he has shown us some possibilities with shaders and as such it could be done by others.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Extending the laws of your own country to those of others is to make huge assumptions and the general deciding factor in many of these types of cases is not whether it is legal or not but whether you can afford to fight it should the employer take you to court. You will undoubtedly have lost your job by then and depending on the country may not have access to state funding to fight such a case. I doubt a company would do this over a couple of shaders but the point stands!

I'm sure Lord Hippo will come to whatever conclusions and decisions are right for him, he is obviously an intelligent person and more than capable of weighing these things up for himself. At least he has shown us some possibilities with shaders and as such it could be done by others.

Oh, Iran. Didn't see that.

It's uncanny how the profile pic of Josh matches what you think his expression would be while he types his posts. I first noticed it when he thought Ricks account was hacked by a 15 yr old girl. Makes me laugh.

How do you know its not a real time feed? He might suffer from the same condition as Jerri Blank's dad on Strangers with Candy laugh.png

http://fourfour.type...es/jerridad.jpg