Super High Res Texture Pack

LarryEllis

Hi guys and gals, just after some feedback regarding texture packs.

Do many people still rely on texture packs for their projects or do most people produce their own / hire an artist to do it?

I'm more curious about the originality side of things, how many people actually use textures that might be in hundreds of other projects too?

I'm considering making a super high res texture pack and releasing it here.

My project is a long way off yet and while i wait for some programming help i wouldn't mind contributing some work elsewhere.

Also, im currently unemployed, so if there's a chance i could sell some work to raise some funds, it would be great.

Can anyone sell in the assets store or only Leadwerks staff?

As a photographer, i find it quite easy taking photos that are usable for textures, and applications like MudBox and CrazyBump make it all to easy to get them ready for in game use.

Here's a sample of a texture made from photos i took on Sunday:

4096x4096 and includes normals, displacement, occlusion, specular and of course diffuse.

Is there a particular format people prefer?

What kind of textures do people want?

Thanks.

I should point out, the above image is of only the diffuse and displacement.

The normal map adds quite a bit more detail to the stones, its nice and sublte but its hard to capture in Mudbox, i have to use a harsh lighting preset:

post-4791-0-44902600-1326763604_thumb.jpg

Here are some more examples of my work. These two are only 2048x2048, diffuse + displacement only. Flat lighting used, so the normal map isn't visible.

I have 4096 versions but they are on my other HD which is currently not connected.

All my textures tile perfectly with no seams and they are edited considerably to reduce the effect of repeating details.

I like textures that make good use of displacement maps / POM so you don't have to use models to increase the detail of your terrains.

There's not much i can do about the lighting, Mudbox is pretty limited. But thanks for pointing out the clipped highlights. I just realized ive uploaded shots of the wrong diffuse and wrong displacement maps!

I'll update the shots shortly..

Edit: All done.

The images i had posted were of displacement maps using very directional displacement in CrazyBump.

They look really good from one angle,with nice popping details, but unfortunately it all vanishes when viewed

from the opposite angle.

The new ones don't pop quite as much, but the detail is visible from all angles.

You mean like concrete walls with overgrowth? Or all natural, dirt / rock walls with overgrowth?

Overgrowth can only be taken so far. Moss and creeping vines are okay, but leaves can look pretty bad, even with displacement mapping. Displacement mapping is best used for terrains, because it can cause problems when around sharp corners and edges.

The player generally never gets any lower to the ground then crouching height, so little issues with the textures aren't as noticeable as when they are at head height on a wall. Bricks with recessed mortar channels are a good example of this.

Its still early stages yet, i've got a lot of textures im yet to start work on. I'll take all suggestions on board though for when im out with my camera next.

I've updated the above images with better quality png's. The jpegs were terrible!

Here's a sandy pebbly texture:

I must agree with Scott, they look a little washed out. Can you show some "ingame" screenshots?

Would be nice to see how it looks rendered with LE.

I do not need textures myself, bought Genetica for that job =)

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)

They all look pretty nice, I'd like to see them tiled over a terrain though so see how seamless they look, preferably in Leadwerks. Like you, I make a lot of my own textures and I get pretty good results on the whole.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Most textures I use are created from several source images combined. I’m always on the lookout for decent collections of unique base images to extract elements from rather than a completed texture.

My first Adobe purchase was Photoshop 2.0, CS6 was my last! < = >

I'm not sure what you mean by washed out.

Perhaps its because they contain no shadow information and are being displayed with flat lighting?

All shadows were removed from the diffuse textures because they will be applied in game.

If i get a chance, ill import a few into an engine and put some light on them.

@Pixel Perfect :

What method do you use to make your own textures ?

I use mainly photographic material as the source texture and combinations of Texture Maker, Gimp and Shader Map Pro to make them seamless, adjust the lighting for an even distribution, remove obvious repeating patterns and any other small adjustments that might be required and produce bump maps etc. I find the quality is very much determined by the front end quality of the source material though, get that right and the rest is easier to get right. I then export and convert to DDS with faded mip maps.

Here's a ground texture I recently made as an example, displayed in the leadwerks editor :

post-51-0-09690900-1326827457_thumb.jpg

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

In answer to your question though Larry, I think there would be a market for nice hi res texture packs if you get the pricing right. Your work looks very high quality!

Hi Larry,

I like the samples you posted, good quality work! But I much prefer to look at plain 2D images, because 3D renders can be sometimes misleading. (or at least do them inside a RT game engine)

I mostly make the textures myself. I was disappointed with all the texture packs I saw so far,.. they were either of great quality and low quantity for a hefty price, or they were high in quantity for an affordable price but low in quality.. plus, no single seller could easily satisfy my texture needs (let alone single pack) and I'm not too keen on mixing content from many different sources (if I'm paying for it). Also what I found lacking was that almost none offered custom packs, where you can pick textures from the entire catalog - something you could consider ;)

I'm more curious about the originality side of things, how many people actually use textures that might be in hundreds of other projects too?

I'm guessing a lot, majority of them probably without even realizing it. Most that do a quick google search usually end up at the same place, everybody knows and loves cgtextures.com (it's textures can be seen in some big commercial games), etc..

I remember a very distinct rubble texture I first saw in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which I later encountered in a couple of other games also! ;)

Most textures I use are created from several source images combined. I’m always on the lookout for decent collections of unique base images to extract elements from rather than a completed texture.

I have a big collection of base images for textures which I'm willing to share if someone would make textures from them!

... Here's a ground texture I recently made as an example, displayed in the leadwerks editor :

Nice job! I made a couple of similar ones but I think I like yours more

what I found lacking was that almost none offered custom packs, where you can pick textures from the entire catalog - something you could consider

That's a really good point and definitely worth considering!

• 3 weeks later...

4096x4096 and includes normals, displacement, occlusion, specular and of course diffuse.

How do you name all those textures then ? I know that you can have for example:

floor.dds

floordot3.dds

but how to name the other files ?

anyway, very nice images.. very high detailed though.

Cheers

How do you name all those textures then ? I know that you can have for example:

floor.dds

floordot3.dds

but how to name the other files ?

anyway, very nice images.. very high detailed though.

Cheers

you can name them however you want. Personally I name mine like so:

floor.dds

floor_nmap.dds

floor_spec.dds

And I generally don't do more than that but you can name them anyway you want

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!