Projects Database

Josh

If you could have a "project" page on Leadwerks.com to show images, a video, a description, and a current demo of your game project, what would you put on there? I can think of a few that would be good, off the top of my head, including Combat Helo and Ravage.

I'm not going to pursue this soon, but I like to ask about things in advance so that I have the information when I am ready to act.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Very cool idea. It would be nice to see the latest and greatest from the projects that in their later stages.

I think you pretty much summed up what would be good in it in your first post:

1. Video

2. Screenshots

3. Bio / Features

4. Latest news (for that game) section.

From what I gather from your tone (lol tone...) it would be more about the game and less about the technical things? Am I corret?

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

No, I am only interested in existing projects in an advanced state of development.

Projects in an advanced state of development already have their own web pages, where they try to gather and build their own community around..

I think it would benefit the smaller/beginning projects more, since this site is probably visited mostly by game developers, it would help in gathering some input, help, etc, maybe even new team members.. And I think it's more relevant to them/us anyway, the end user is mainly interested in the release date, pricing and future plans.. It might not necessarily make your product look as awesome to the casual visitor though, so I think I know where you're coming from..

Projects in an advanced state of development already have their own web pages, where they try to gather and build their own community around.

Yes, but I can help improve their visibility and SEO rankings.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Projects in an advanced state of development already have their own web pages, where they try to gather and build their own community around..

I think it would benefit the smaller/beginning projects more, since this site is probably visited mostly by game developers, it would help in gathering some input, help, etc, maybe even new team members.. And I think it's more relevant to them/us anyway, the end user is mainly interested in the release date, pricing and future plans.. It might not necessarily make your product look as awesome to the casual visitor though, so I think I know where you're coming from..

He has a good point. To me this idea currently sounds like you want to increase visibility and SEO rankings of Leadwerks more than anything. There is nothing really wrong with that but honestly I see no reason why a developer would entertain the idea of fragmenting their community and project into what they have on their website and what you're trying to offer as a service here. If were you I would focus on some ideas around helping developers and in return getting extensive blog posts and/or open source demos of parts of their game.

The UDK engine has done that to great affect - There are some really nice tutorials and guides from professional indie developers who've used UDK and gone on to finish a commercial product. Some, like Dungeon Defenders, actually have a fully functional open source demo produced during earlier phases of development.

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009

Honestly, I think it is a stellar idea. But it really doesnt need to be "latest news" and all that here on Leadwerks. Rather it should be a video or two, a gallery and a description with a link to the project's website if it got one.

That way, Josh can have a show of projects using the leadwerks engine, and the project's owners doesnt need to update so much on two seperate sites. Also the community around a project wouldnt be confused as to where they belong or where they should get information most specific for them.

It is also a good idea in that it can generate a small boost of traffic for all projects, as a user can be interested in one thing, and see a bunch of other things that might interest them as well.

Win7: 3.4GHz i7, 16Gb RAM DDR3, Radeon HD 6970 2048MB

I agree with what Scott and paramecij said. This community is relatively small so splitting interaction further up wouldn't do much good. You even said so yourself when you decided to merge the programming forums. I think a project database would be a good way to show what can be done with Leadwerks. However, I would keep the project descriptions brief and as far as media is concerned only have a few pictures and one or two videos per project. As all of those projects would have their own site, a blog or at least a thread in the showcase forum, there is a way to provide more information for those interested with a single click. This allows for a quick overview while still giving projects a chance to present themselves well.

On the topic of this being more useful for Leadwerks or the developers: While giving us indie devs another opportunity to present themselves is basically a good thing, I think the main purpose of this should be to make Leadwerks more attractive and to give the company and this community more attention. After all, getting more people to buy and use Leadwerks would be beneficial for everyone here.

I guess I was anticipating that project pages would be for all stages of development. What would prevent you from having a project option for concept, initial development, advanced development, alpha, beta, etc? Why limit to only advanced projects? Sure you could only feature advanced projects, but I think having concepts linked from individuals profiles could be valuable.

I might not have been clear, but my point was to ask what possible projects would be good candidates. There's a lot of stuff that goes under the radar, like this project:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/4444-game-big-five-hunter-arcade/page__pid__38866#entry38866

I've seen a number of Leadwerks project popping up, and a lot of the devs don't spend much time on the forum.

Fair point Josh. Personally I think you should just directly contact those devs you see have potential and ask them to write an article on it that you can place on Leadwerks. How are we meant to elect candidates if, just like you say, they don't pop their heads up here often?

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009