My Game Idea

DigitalHax

Hello smile.png

I am looking at the leadwerks engine, and as many of you would know i have had a play with it in general, and i am really interested in going further into an idea for a game. I would like you to tell me what you think, and/or if it is possible.

My idea is to have a future set war, where you fight in "mechs" or walkers similar to in Avatar.

I would think of having a multiplayer as well as singleplayer, in which you have battles.

The sort of scenes would involve futuristic, industrial type areas.

I have no doubt that this will involve a lot of work. I am not the sort of person who expects things like this to be a cake walk. The view would be a third person almost over the head view, similar to alien swarm. http://imagenes.es.s...ien-swarm-6.png

So if anyone could tell me what they think that would be great. And yes, I do not currently have more then the demo, but i guess i am just seeing if anyone will come up and say that is a ridiculous idea biggrin.png

Thanks in advance.

Win7 64bit, Leadwerks SDK 2.5, Visual Studio 2012, 3DWS, 3ds Max, Photoshop CS5.

Life is too short to remove USB safely.

Yo,

So first of all I'd like to say "Go for it!" before I start rambling.

[inserts Rambling Here]

1. Well anything worth doing is a lot of work and yeh it will be a lot of work especially if you are going to do multi-player. Network programming for games adds a new level of difficulty. However, if you are confident in your programming (C++ if you want to use RakNet) you should be able to learn it. Just expect a lot of headaches. So if you're not confident in doing that then try make a single player game first. Otherwise if you can't resist then put on your hard working cap and you'll be fine. Remember games with multiplayer need to have the networking coded in from the start not after you've made it work in single player.

That being said I don't listen to my own advice as one of the first things I did with Leadwerks was networking entities... lol

It does sound like a lot of work, but it's definitely feasible. Any project worth doing is a lot of work, mine included. Just whatever you do make sure you are passionate about your game. The moment you lose passion or realise that you're not passionate about it is the moment that you fail. I know this for a fact in my "pre-leadwerks" 3D art life.... (tbh its the same with anything in life not just making games lol)

I don't have a number three... 3 is the charm they say so why not XD

All that being said there are a few +++ signs I'm seeing with your project:

1. Mech's = nice and easy to create in 3D compared to organic humans.

2. Your game seems like more of an arcade sort of thing which is good because then it focuses on gameplay and you don't waste time on story etc.

3. Um I don't have a number three.... 3 is the charm they say :)

Just decide on a level of quality / quantity you want to have and make sure it is not too much. Many people fail because they expect to make a AAA game straight off the bat.

Neway have fun. I'm sure you will do well. If you don't complete it at least you have learned some things along the way.

P.S. if you want to use RakNet for networking I suggest you watch my tutorial video's: http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/articles/_/programming/raknet-in-leadwerks-tutorial-r80

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

1.Thanks for the feedback! And yes, i am interested in having a fairly strong multiplayer side to my game, with the singleplayer almost being a simpler offline multiplayer. wink.png

2.I was wondering about how the dynamics for the camera view would work. I am thinking of having an almost static (Full area view) with a camera system where upon wall collisionthe camera will do the move closer technique, but will then snap back to the wide view.

3. Um I don't have a number three.... 3 is the charm they say :)

Win7 64bit, Leadwerks SDK 2.5, Visual Studio 2012, 3DWS, 3ds Max, Photoshop CS5.

I recommend breaking your project up into attainable milestones. Each of these milestones should be releaseable, complete games. For instance, for the first one, make a simple single player game that is a mech that goes around blowing stuff up. It really lets you get into the engine and learn the commands and gives you a playable demo to show off, which makes you feel good.

Myself, I'm looking at releasing my first milestone project this spring.

Don't let anybody tell you that you can't do it. Take any criticism for the feedback it offers. Take advantage of the community here. Post blogs, videos, and gameplay demos. I've received great feedback from these guys.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I was thinking of building up the idea in milestones, and I have actually been checking out your stuff (nice!)

By the way, I am aware that LE3 will be released in 5-6 months or so, and well, I have lots of other things going at the moment. Would it be worth while to wait? And what would be the price of it compared to LE2 plus the upgrade?

I hope so... for three reasons.

1.I want to get started as fast as i can :)

2.I dont want to spend lots to get one then a lot more for the other.

3. Um I don't have a number three.... 3 is the charm they say biggrin.png

It's been said (on the boards that are now hidden) that LE2 + Upgrade to LE3 will be less than LE3. I wonder if Josh will confirm that.

Josh has said this in the past multiple times.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Well I had a bit of a play with the character controller code, and i have set up a real basic third person rig. (Minus the model), and it was alright. I had a go at CEGUI in a separate project, but it kept saying i didnt have visual studio 2008, when i set it to V90. By the way i am using VS2010. Maybe I should use a different method for GUI.