Direct X10 / 11 ?

dennis

I have no plans to ever add support for DirectX 11, unless Leadwerks3D ends up on the next XBox.

OpenGL 4 has the same features and is cross-platform compatible.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I have no plans to ever add support for DirectX 11, unless Leadwerks3D ends up on the next XBox.

OpenGL 4 has the same features and is cross-platform compatible.

okay thanks, but is there a possibility to add DX11 our self's?

and what about my first question about the cut-scene movie?

okay thanks, but is there a possibility to add DX11 our self's?

Since the renderer can be swapped out, yes this is possible.

of anyhow, a way to make a cutscene which looks so sexy as in:

You cannot easily make something like that. DX11 won't do anything to help you. It's a matter of labor, not technology. They probably paid a third party like Blur Studio a couple hundred thousand to produce that.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I don't understand why you'd want DX over OpenGL....

Read this to get a better understanding of the differences between DX and OpenGL...

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/openglvsdirectx.html

Oh and that Hitman video is a pre-rendered video that has nothing to do with the game whatsoever.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Actually, OpenGL no longer supports picking. You can do it by making each surface a separate color and reading back the color of a pixel at the specified point, but that sucks.

I suppose you could embed the byte address of the rendered surface in the color, but you better be sure the colors are completely accurate!

But yeah the two are the same, except OpenGL runs on everything and ms can't even decide on one version of directx to use, even for windows.

Interesting read here: http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX

What I think is interesting is the Vista OpenGL scare. MS could basically kill OpenGL for all intense purposes if they stopped supporting it in their OS. That's pretty crazy to think about. I mean the masses are using Windows, and if MS stops support for OpenGL the PC gaming development community basically have no choice but to use DX to reach the masses because the masses aren't likely to change OS's to play a game. They are more likely to complain that the game doesn't run on Windows. It's insane to think about the power MS has with stuff like this.

• Upvote 1

*sighs* I really am tired of this FUD, especially since it didn't originate from Microsoft to begin with, but from the community that didn't understand the implications.

The Vista OpenGL scare was a non-issue to begin with. What Microsoft had stated is that they were no longer going to maintain, support or include the OpenGL _SOFTWARE_ driver or runtime for OpenGL. It has _ALWAYS_ been the job of the video card manufacturer's to provide the hardware accelerated driver.

Windows 2000 was an excellent example of this. It didn't ship with the OpenGL software driver either. Nor did NT. Both were perfectly capable of OpenGL hardware acceleration once the proper drivers were installed from the video card vendor.

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Let's make things happen.

Read this to get a better understanding of the differences between DX and OpenGL...

http://www.cprogramm...lvsdirectx.html

Oh and that Hitman video is a pre-rendered video that has nothing to do with the game whatsoever.

Because I have a ATI Readon HD 5670 X2 vid. card, ati and openGL have problems with each other (often)

http://www.cprogramm...lvsdirectx.html

yeah it's pre-rendered but I always imagined how they did it, is it like drawing ( as in animated movies such as: shrek (poor example) ) would be so nice to know how, not that I even try to make it myself... because I will use another method as: just use a green-screen and some advanced filters to make it appear such awesome.

still the fact to implement DX11 or let the user choose. is so much more user friendly.

Interesting read here: http://blog.wolfire....and-not-DirectX

What I think is interesting is the Vista OpenGL scare. MS could basically kill OpenGL for all intense purposes if they stopped supporting it in their OS. That's pretty crazy to think about. I mean the masses are using Windows, and if MS stops support for OpenGL the PC gaming development community basically have no choice but to use DX to reach the masses because the masses aren't likely to change OS's to play a game. They are more likely to complain that the game doesn't run on Windows. It's insane to think about the power MS has with stuff like this.

That's interesting indeed!!

as I see DX has less support features.

yeah it's pre-rendered but I always imagined how they did it, is it like drawing ( as in animated movies such as: shrek (poor example) ) would be so nice to know how, not that I even try to make it myself... because I will use another method as: just use a green-screen and some advanced filters to make it appear such awesome.

My OpenGL book shows how they made Shrek and 2012. A line summary: Create models just like you would for a game, animate them using 3d motion cameras or just by labor, and render them in high-quality in a massive render farm.

Interesting to know that they used OpenGL for the renderer. :o

Blog & Portfolio

Current project: moon.chase.star

My OpenGL book shows how they made Shrek and 2012. A line summary: Create models just like you would for a game, animate them using 3d motion cameras or just by labor, and render them in high-quality in a massive render farm.

Interesting to know that they used OpenGL for the renderer. biggrin.png

Generally they don't use OpenGL for the final render. Usually something akin to Mental Ray or a Renderman compliant renderer is used. It's all CPU bound, though there is the possibility of this changing in the future due to things like CUDA. Dreamworks uses their own Renderer based on the REYES architecture. It's all done on the CPU, no OpenGL to it. All their tools however, probably use OpenGL. :o

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Let's make things happen.

Interesting to know that they used OpenGL for the renderer. biggrin.png

woow sounds awesome, I'll should give it a try, the worst part is one of my developers's (the one with the best computer) computer has crashed AAHHHHH! he is also the guy who is following the university for media and design :o

@Brent Taylor So, they will use Adobe after effect and premiere pro for it (for example) just for the creation.

someone have found a article for this? as in best software to use? or a openGL article?

Cheers