Never store externed C objects in a resizable array

Josh

I wonder how many people are actively aware of the fact also that all BlitzMax programs will crash sometime killing your explorer.exe Desktop instance (the 1st explorer instance), and then you have to press Ctrl-Alt-Del and run explorer.exe to get back your Desktop. This is just ridiculous, but when you know it, it's not that big of a problem. GC is basically a way to hide programming errors and make them happen at random times, making debugging impossible. In C, the program crashez immediately and you REALLY have to fix your faulty code. That's one of the biggest benefits of non GC languages, like C.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I've had it on several computers with Windows XP. But it also needs some time to accumulate, so you need really to work on some serious game, and not just play for short time with a BMX program.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I would imagine anyone who uses LE editor for a long period of time would have seen this happen and probably would have reported it. I also never had seen Flexman mention this before either. So, either no one has used the editor for a long period of time, or Flexman/NA never played their own games for a long period of time, or it's something you're doing.

I will come back and post here if I see it happen.

I've never had that happen.

no, not happened to me ...

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Explorer.exe crashes randomly in Windows XP anyways. I notice it often hangs when copying more than a few megabytes of files.

GC is basically a way to hide programming errors and make them happen at random times, making debugging impossible. In C, the program crashez immediately and you REALLY have to fix your faulty code. That's one of the biggest benefits of non GC languages, like C.

Yep.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

GC is basically a way to hide programming errors and make them happen at random times, making debugging impossible. In C, the program crashez immediately and you REALLY have to fix your faulty code. That's one of the biggest benefits of non GC languages, like C.

..GC should not have to 'hide' anything of programming errors , if you code on clean and efficient way without trying to do esoteric things, what doesnt make sense for game you programming anyway..

If I've learned anything from different languages over the years, they all let you screw up in wildly different ways. GC is just something to be aware of (there's even an example of bad practice in the manual).

I tend to prefer fixed sizes for significant arrays anyway to minimise memory fragmentation. It's a luxury game programmers get that developers of middleware do not. But if you were making a general wall-chart on do's and dont's for BMX then Josh's thread title is a good candidate.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

I wonder how many people are actively aware of the fact also that all BlitzMax programs will crash sometime killing your explorer.exe Desktop instance (the 1st explorer instance), and then you have to press Ctrl-Alt-Del and run explorer.exe to get back your Desktop.

I've never had explorer just crash randomly. I have had times where I've had to kill it in taskmgr, but I've found in such instances, wait 3 seconds and it seems to respawn itself. Since that involves less effort, I'll normally just wait for system to bring explorer back for me... (at least, I presume it's system doing it)

Explorer.exe crashes randomly in Windows XP anyways. I notice it often hangs when copying more than a few megabytes of files.

I think you might need a better antivirus - one where the on access scanning is less intrusive by the sounds of it.

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)