Particle Systems Feature Requests

Chris Vossen

Hello Leadwerks Community,

I'm Chris Vossen a Leadwerks Intern and I am currently trying to gather as much information on what features Leadwerk users would like to see in a particle system. No matter how crazy or basic they sound I'd love to hear all requests. Please sandbox all ideas on this thread and I look forward to seeing what ideas spring up!

The current version is pretty good with lots of options. I also vote for adding physics responsive particles, if possible.

Also, I don't know how much of this is particle territory or water territory (or both) but splashes in water when characters run through them (or boats), water hitting rocks and waterfall particles... I know this can all be done manually but automation would be cool.

Lavalike or gel-like "oozing" particles. Again, this may be water territory instead.

3D verlet physics based particles. It's fast, massive and simple. Particles like smoke need to be able to stop at the ceiling of a room, and travel along the ceiling. Rain particles need to be able to bounce and flow down the roof, and stay outside of the room. And because you need only one verlet physics shape for particles: a sphere, it's easy to optimize and make it even faster. Sparkle particles need to be able to bounce a few times on the floor. Water particles can be used to simulate pools and rivers of water, you can put the radius of a sphere quite big in this case, and use a blob shader to make the water particles merge into a solid fluid.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I would be looking for some kind of editor so it's easier to add particles to models like following a sword model on a character. Then being able to easily save and open later to play. I'm not sure how other engines handle this but testing in game is sort of a pain to start and stop constantly to make code tweaks to get things just right. Would be nice to do this in real-time in an editor.

-softparticles

-physcs responsive particles

-trail particles (ribbons)

-fillrate control (auto-manual)

- mesh based emitters

- trail particles (again ribbons)

- events (particle died, particle born, etc..)

- multiple emitter areas (spherical, square,...)

Add to that colour blending, perhaps done via some KeyFrame object (which can be used for many other properties). But some means to cycle colour and position.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

Hey everyone,

My apologies for being so late to respond! Here is my current list of particle system requests (in order posted):

1. Soft particles (quick explanation: http://blog.wolfire..../Soft-Particles)

2. Physics responsive particles

3. Trail particles

4. Fillrate control

5. 3D Verlet physics for particles

6. Attractors & deflectors

7. Mesh based emitters

8. Particle events (Particle Born, Particle Death…etc)

9. Multiple emitter areas (square, spherical, cylindrical…)

10. GPU based particles using geometry shaders

11. Visual editor for matching particle effects to object motions (example: flames on a sword swing)

12. Particle over time texturing

13. Formula to describe the flying path of a particle

I like this idea because I’ve come across a couple times in which this function would have made my life a lot easier. For example here is a video of a portal I made with spiraling particles.

Since I didn't have access to the particles flying path I had to make 8 emitters positioned in a circle and activate them at different times in a clockwise order. If I could manipulate the flying path it would have only taken one emitter with a unique particle flying path.

14. Color blending

15. Sound triggers

All of these ideas are great and it will be exciting to see how many of them I can incorporate into the engine and at the same time make the system as user friendly as possible (Because there is no point in having awesome features if no one can figure out how to use them).

All of these ideas are great and it will be exciting to see how many of them I can incorporate into the engine and at the same time make the system as user friendly as possible (Because there is no point in having awesome features if no one can figure out how to use them).

Best of luck Chris. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I'd be interested to see some things similar to that of in after effects trapcode particular -- http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/trapcode-particular/

I have tried it out before and the customization is really smooth.

Win7 64bit, Leadwerks SDK 2.5, Visual Studio 2012, 3DWS, 3ds Max, Photoshop CS5.

Life is too short to remove USB safely.

• 2 weeks later...

Particle deformers:

- Non-linear: bend, taper/flare, sine, squash, twist, wave

- free-form cage deformer (customizable matrix)

- sticky particles (with 'sticky-ness' customizer, gravity editor, and ability to splat/radiate from contact point---hello gib-tastic particles!)

*edit* forgot to add, trail particles that could potentially be based off of a spline tool similar to road tool

(not just 'trailing' off of a geometry's animated motion) ;)

Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit | Q6600 2.40 GHZ | 8GB RAM | 320MB Nvidia 8800GTS